• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cohabitation agreement??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

airman

What is the name of your state? ny

Wife & I legally separated with no intent of divorce. House is in both our names but she has sole occupency. Joint custody of 2 children but they reside with her and she is primary custodian. Wife has had female friend she met on the internet move in with her in recent months.

Through lawdepot.com, my wife is getting some kind of cohabitation agreement between herself and her friend, Anita.

One of the questions & answers my wife filled out bother me. They are:

Question 1 - How should the shared property be assessed in the event of separation?
Answer 1 - Each party will own 50% of the property.

According to our legal separation papers, my wife is entitled to 50% of the $$$ when we sell the house. Does this mean my wife is giving 25% of her 50% to Anita? Is this allowed w/o my say so?

There is an additonal clause that trouble me, too.
Clause #1 - If Debra dies before her children are of legal age, Anita is to retain visitation rights.
Is this allowed? Anita is no blood relative of my children. How can Debra make this claim w/o my approval? There was nothing in our legal separation regarding this.

fairisfair

airman said:

Wife & I legally separated with no intent of divorce. House is in both our names but she has sole occupency. Joint custody of 2 children but they reside with her and she is primary custodian. Wife has had female friend she met on the internet move in with her in recent months.

Through lawdepot.com, my wife is getting some kind of cohabitation agreement between herself and her friend, Anita.

Question 1 - How should the shared property be assessed in the event of separation?

According to our legal separation papers, my wife is entitled to 50% of the $$$ when we sell the house. Does this mean my wife is giving 25% of her 50% to Anita? Is this allowed w/o my say so?

Clause #1 - If Debra dies before her children are of legal age, Anita is to retain visitation rights.
Is this allowed? Anita is no blood relative of my children. How can Debra make this claim w/o my approval? There was nothing in our legal separation regarding this.
What your wife does with her half of the money is up to her. If Debra dies, you will have custody of the children, barring any reason that the court may find you unfit, no agreement that she makes with Anita will be binding. Unless she (Anita) is able to convince a court that she has the same rights as a natural parent and that it is in the best interest of the children, you have heard of a snowball in hell??

AHA

airman said:

Since she's turned gay, it might be time to divorce her and settle all this business, so you have it on court order.

airman

fairisfair said:
What your wife does with her half of the money is up to her. If Debra dies, you will have custody of the children, barring any reason that the court may find you unfit, no agreement that she makes with Anita will be binding. Unless she (Anita) is able to convince a court that she has the same rights as a natural parent and that it is in the best interest of the children, you have heard of a snowball in hell??
Your answer is the exact thoughts i had. I am more angry that my wife does stuff like this on the sly. I know that, technically, i have no right to know anything that goes on in her personal life. I just get upset that she's making decisions with the kids and a complete stranger and actually thinks i'd be okay with it when and if it ever comes to fruition.

Anita sure seemed to step in poop. Meets my wife online. Moves to Long Island. Starts a flooring business with my wife that tanks & will get 1/2 of my wife's money when the house gets sold in 11 years. I often wonder if Anita is some type of con artist.

As for my wife turning gay...doubt it. My wife needed help money-wise and somehow hooked up with Anita online, offered her residency, partnership in a business.

If my wife dies, do i have the right to kick Anita to the curb? The house is only in my name and my wife's.

Last edited:

AHA

airman said:
As for my wife turning gay...doubt it.
No woman goes online and meets another woman, a stranger, and lets her move in, gets financially bound with, and consider "giving" her kids to her unless there is a hell of a lot more going on between them. Even a years long deep friendship don't usually stretch it that far, much less a fleeting stranger found on the internet.

Just telling you what I see from a woman's point of view.

tigger22472

AHA said:
No woman goes online and meets another woman, a stranger, and lets her move in, gets financially bound with, and consider "giving" her kids to her unless there is a hell of a lot more going on between them. Even a years long deep friendship don't usually stretch it that far, much less a fleeting stranger found on the internet.

Just telling you what I see from a woman's point of view.
Amen to that!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">