• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of bogus "Hit & Run"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Intuit

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My father was trying to make a u-turn on a narrow two-way street in NJ and his car’s front bumper clipped the front wheel of a car parked next to the auto body shop across the street. That car was parked with its front wheels turned at the 45-degree angle and the wheel was “sticking out” of the fender, which made it easier for my father’s car to bump into it.

This other car’s alarm went off and a few seconds later three guys ran out of the body shop and all started yelling at my father (he doesn’t really know what they said to him because he doesn’t speak English all that well). My father got out of the car and asked them if everything was ok. They brushed him off, looked at their car, turned off the alarm and just went back inside without saying anything to him. My father claims the other car sustained no visible damage whatsoever as a result of this incident.

Three days later, my father received three tickets in the mail (“Leaving scene of accident”, “Failure to report accident” and “Careless Driving”). He is now facing multiple fines and a possible license suspension. These tickets were written about an hour after the incident had taken place.

The whole thing sounds absolutely ridiculous. Based on what he had told me, this wasn’t much different from bumping another car while trying to get out of a tight parking space. I feel that he was victimized by people who saw this as an insurance scam opportunity.

He is going to contact a lawyer. In the meantime, any advice on a course of action would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

moburkes

He hit a car. That was surely an accident. How didn't he know that any of the 3 men owned the vehicle, or just worked at the body shop? He didn't, right? Therefore, he DID leave the scene of an accident, and he DID fail to file a police report. I don't know if U-turns are illegal in NJ, so I don't know about that last ticket. If your father's English is so poor, then maybe he shouldn't be driving alone. If someone else was there with him, the situation may have turned out differently.

Caveman

O carro somente correu na frente de mim oficial que eu penso que não teve seus freios de emergência. De qualquer jeito eu não vi e eu não senti-me bater em mim. Escreva que no bilhete e você será bom.

What you don't know will kill you in court. Don't you know this is a different century now.

18yearsago

damn.. people are harsh..

In CA the damage from an accident must exceed $500 to require a accident report to be filed with the police. You might check that.

Technically, if they all 3 when back into the shop, weren't THEY leaving the scene of the accident?? lol - ok, just kidding w/ that one.

You should check your dad's car for paint or rubber on his bumber (and take a picture of it btw) to see if you can determine what part of the car he may have struck. If he hit paint- could be trouble.

best of luck.

ola la pues, ugh!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
18yearsago said:
In CA the damage from an accident must exceed $500 to require a accident report to be filed with the police. You might check that.
FYI, it's $750 not $500 in CA

moburkes

CA rules don't help the OP's dad, but

In NJ, the department of insurance's website states that you are required to call the police to report the accident.

edit: This is directed to 18yearsago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">