• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proof of Service - INDIANA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bambi66

What is the name of your state? IN

I am filing for divorce. What is legal proof of service in Indiana? I'm pretty sure if it is mailed Certified Mail that would work (Clerk told me this). What if he is working when mail is delivered. He would have to go pick it up at the post office, right? I also can't locate the specific form needed for this. The Clerk's office does not have them. Please advise.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
bambi66 said:
What is the name of your state? IN

I am filing for divorce. What is legal proof of service in Indiana? I'm pretty sure if it is mailed Certified Mail that would work (Clerk told me this). What if he is working when mail is delivered. He would have to go pick it up at the post office, right? I also can't locate the specific form needed for this. The Clerk's office does not have them. Please advise.
It is called A Certificate of Service and it is your responsible to write it up. Though you can instruct the Clerk's office to serve using a praecipe. However if you do not understand the fundamentals you really should get an attorney. Especially if your STBX is going to have one.

bambi66

Ohiogal said:
It is called A Certificate of Service and it is your responsible to write it up. Though you can instruct the Clerk's office to serve using a praecipe. However if you do not understand the fundamentals you really should get an attorney. Especially if your STBX is going to have one.
Ohiogal, thank you for your response. Is there someplace I can find an example of the Certificate of Service? Neither of us is using an attorney and the divorce is uncontested without children.

Thanks again.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
bambi66 said:
Ohiogal, thank you for your response. Is there someplace I can find an example of the Certificate of Service? Neither of us is using an attorney and the divorce is uncontested without children.

Thanks again.
If it is uncontested you can obtain an attorney cheaply to write up everything you need and make sure it is properly filed with the court. Because filing a divorce is not as simple as a writing a letter. You need a separation agreement, orders and various other things in order to complete the process. Do yourself a favor, invest an attorney to handle your uncontested divorce. Because you will have problems. And no one has the time to teach you to write everything that is required.www.findlaw.com may help but it may not. Your county court website may help. Or it may not.

Indiana Filer

bambi66

Thank you for the link Indiana Filer. I have all those forms, I was just worried that the Summons said it was for Dissolution of Marriage Only on it. The lady at the Clerk's Office was kind enough to let me know I could just cross that statement out. I got it filed and he should be served by the Sherrif this week.

OhioGal - I don't think you have to file a Separation Agreement in Indiana. It was not included in the divorce packet I received. Thank you for your assistance as well though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">