• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

States Attorney Fails To Protect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GatorMac

What is the name of your state? South Dakota

I keep hitting brick walls with this and am at my wits end.

I live in a very small town in South Dakota.. The kind of town where everyone knows everyone. Our elected States Attorney prosecuted my Mom for the power company 6 years ago the case was settled out of court.. Since then the States Attorney (who was newly elected at that time) Has had a prejudice against my entire family. Including me. I had NOTHING to do with the case with my Mom.
The man has tried to humilate me at jury trial by asking personal questions that lead other potential jurors to belive we "had dated" at some point in time
I have had my Car stolen, my dog killed, been fenced out of my own property, criminaly tresspassed on, had horses stolen, and just last month was physically attacked by my next door neighbor! I am a single young woman who lives alone, I have 2 male neighbors that contiually harass and bully me (they are mostly responsibile for all but one of the above) when I took a stand for myself and refused to allow my neighbor to bully me into not using my own property he struck me. Causing me to have 22 days off work and several thousands of dollars in medical bills. Not in one of the incidents listed above has anyone been charged, arrested or even fined! Even though guilt was admitted on the tresspass and stolen horse issue to a law enforcment officer. On the last occasion when I was assulted by my neighbor the States Attorney called the sherriff and told him NOT TO ARREST the man that hit me, Untill he see's the report! I had 3 witnesses to the attack, and the States Attorney again refused to prosecute. I have tried to make appointments with the States Attorney, his staff either refuses to make me an appointment or on the one occasion when they did the SA did not show up at his office! He has made this such a bold point not to help me. The Sherriff has even said to me, You know the SA does not like your family so if we don't have everything fool proof he will not help you! Even at fool proof he refuses to help. The Sherrif has come right out and said he is not going to fine nor arrest any for me, because he knows the SA will not follow through and he is tired of wasting his time!
Then the people doing this to me use it as justification for what they do! Well I didn't get arrested so I must not have hit you! I'm at my witts end and I keep hitting brick walls with local attorneys "they are all friends" as I was told by one I went to see about getting help last week. Things have been escalating and getting worse. My neighbors feel they have the right to do what they do to me, because they know they will not have any kind of recourse from the law. So it is open hunting on me and my family! I need help and don't know where to find it!

GatorMac

I plan on moving, but we have two places that boarder these neighbors, thus it takes time to sell, and find something in another county that works for us. (we have livestock and) large sections of land are getting harder and harder to come by, and more and more expensive. But the Move is inevitibile..

My legal question is, Is there any way I can make the States Attorney protect me and do his job without prejudice? I feel as if I live in a lawless county with him as a States Attorney. I'm afraid of being in my own home, can not enjoy my property, and am just terrified of what comes next. With the law that is suppose to protect my rights just looking the other way, I feel even more abandonded. As I said before the neighbors feel justified in doing what they do, because they know no recourse will become of it, and that is due to the States Attorney turning the blind eye. On the assult case he came right out and said, he will not be prosecuting.

It's a terribile thing to be run out of your own home you have worked so hard for.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thank You

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">