• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial responsibility re: car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LisaK

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hi - I stopped by to see my stbx today, with the kids. He went out Mon., traded in his perfectly good car that only had a $200/mo payment and bought a brand new $38000 car. I just about passed out. The payment is $680/MONTH - my gosh, I am having chest pains. I can't figure out how he even got financed.

We have been separated over 2 years and are part-way through mediation. Obviously, he did not consult me about this. I have run up ZERO bills, in fact it isin the mid-90's here and I do not have the central air running (trying to save $100/mo on the electric bill so I have a bit more for groceries.)

If he were to drop dead tomorrow, I believe I would be legally responsible for thie car payment, even thought he did it all in his name only, as we are not divorced yet. Correct?

seniorjudge

LisaK said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hi - I stopped by to see my stbx today, with the kids. He went out Mon., traded in his perfectly good car that only had a $200/mo payment and bought a brand new $38000 car. I just about passed out. The payment is $680/MONTH - my gosh, I am having chest pains. I can't figure out how he even got financed.

We have been separated over 2 years and are part-way through mediation. Obviously, he did not consult me about this. I have run up ZERO bills, in fact it isin the mid-90's here and I do not have the central air running (trying to save $100/mo on the electric bill so I have a bit more for groceries.)

If he were to drop dead tomorrow, I believe I would be legally responsible for thie car payment, even thought he did it all in his name only, as we are not divorced yet. Correct?

You are not responsible for his bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">