• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Colleen

What is the name of your state?
Florida
Two motorcyclists were injured--one severely--after a head-on collision with our mini van. My question is, if the cyclists sue, for medical and/or other fees, what is secure in our fianances, ie. stocks, joint bank accounts, etc.?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

nullify

Okay, I don't know about original poster, but I want to know the answer. What if the person has plenty of coverage but still not enough. And yes, the person is at fault. What is at stake if the driver is over 18, is a dependent, and the insurance is under parent's policy? Basically just pay up whatever is not covered?

Country Living

The moral to the story is increased liability is cheap!

ecmst12 said:
What are the coverage limits on your insurance?
I wish the OP would have responded back with their coverage limits. They're probably driving a $45,000 van with the minimum liability coverage for their state. Got to save money somewhere. I'm sorry - that was a very tacky comment.

This brings to mind an event that happened many years ago when I first worked in insurance. A man called in to add his youthful male operator to his policy. He was carrying the minimum liability limits for the state - which happened to be $10,000 property damage. He refused my offer to quote him higher limits, which I thoroughly documented. He just didn't want to spend the money. The son took daddy's car joy-riding and caused an accident with a tractor-trailer carrying a mainframe computer. Insurance paid $10,000 and daddy was sucessfully sued for the remaining $90,000.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">