• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing Respondent's Entry of Appearance form

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kate554

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My husband filed. I received a Respondent's Entry of Appearance form to sign and mail back to his lawyer. This also waives the issuance and service of a summons from the sherrif.

The one section reads:

"She does hereby enter her appearance to the jurisdiction of the family court of xxxx Mo., and consents to the hearing of the above cause at any time convenient to the Court without further notice to her."

This says to me that once I return the paper, my husband can just file the dissolution and it will be granted without me knowing it and without me knowing what he put in the paperwork, like what bills I am responsible for. (That is the only thing outstanding in our divorce. We have agreed on property and all of it is already divided.)

My lawyer said to just sign it, and he will contact the other lawyer, who he knows, and they will agree that things will not proceed without my knowledge. That makes me nervous.

So what if I sign this paper but cross out "without further notice to her" and replace it with "WITH further notice to her"? What will happen then?

Thank you.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

kate554 said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

My husband filed. I received a Respondent's Entry of Appearance form to sign and mail back to his lawyer. This also waives the issuance and service of a summons from the sherrif.

The one section reads:

"She does hereby enter her appearance to the jurisdiction of the family court of xxxx Mo., and consents to the hearing of the above cause at any time convenient to the Court without further notice to her."

This says to me that once I return the paper, my husband can just file the dissolution and it will be granted without me knowing it and without me knowing what he put in the paperwork, like what bills I am responsible for. (That is the only thing outstanding in our divorce. We have agreed on property and all of it is already divided.)

My lawyer said to just sign it, and he will contact the other lawyer, who he knows, and they will agree that things will not proceed without my knowledge. That makes me nervous.

So what if I sign this paper but cross out "without further notice to her" and replace it with "WITH further notice to her"? What will happen then?

Thank you.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
I think that you need to be guided by your attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">