• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teen Needs Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stansky

Minnesota

Hello all. Im a 16 yr old who lives in Minneapolis, mn. I work at a Dairy Queen. When I started working there, I was 15, and made 6.50 an hour. Not that bad. But everybody else made 7.25,and I asked why, and they said I was younger then everybody, so I made less than everybody.

But now, I recently got suspended for two weeks. I didnt know this either. I came to work on one day, and say my schedule was blank. I asked why and they said I was suupneded, and they didnt know why. So i was sent home early. So for the next two weeks, I never recieved a call for an explanation fo my suspension. Never came. SO i called to ask why, and I got a lecture because I called my supervior at home, who was the onlyone who knoew I was suspended. They said that I told my supervusor to Fuc$k off, and she aknoldges that never happned. So i am getting askewed answeres for my suspension. I also get taunted about leaving ealr yfor school, because Im 16. They say im 16 and shouldnt have got a job.

Is there anything to do about thi suspenison, and ae discriination.

xylene

stansky said:
Is there anything to do about thi suspenison
Get a better job at another restuarant. You can do better than 6.50, even at age 16, even with the need to go to school.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In Minnestota, you have to be over 18 for age discrimination laws to apply.

The suspension may have been unfair, but it is not illegal.

judith

Sweetie I know what you are going through I worked at a Dairy Queen to. Get out while you can. But if for some reason you decide to stay just give the labor board a call. There is something that can be done about it. Hang in there!;)

stansky

Hey. Ive been slaivng at work. :) So i havent had time to reply. I didnt mention this beofer, but I should have

Seeing as were a fast food restaraunt that deals with food, And we have cleaning chemicals and stuff. Dont we need the Osha Books? Which I know we dont have. We should also have the employee rghts posters posted in a visible areas, which we dont even have.

Also, there are concerns about emplyee breaks. I usually work a 7-12pm **** now. WQhen i ask for a break, they say I cant have one (sometimes) I ask why, and they say that I dont need to go on a break. I ask why others did, and I am told because they smoke. And when the non-smokers get a break, it is a 5 minute break, and then we have to go back to work.

mlane58

The only OSHA book that you should (not saying required) would be an MSDS book listing all the chemicals your organization uses. As far as breaks go Minnesota state law requires employers to provide restroom time and sufficient time to eat a meal. If the break is less than 20 minutes in duration, it must be counted as hours worked. Time to use the nearest restroom must be provided within each four consecutive hours of work. Meal time applies to employees who work eight or more consecutive hours (see Minnesota Statutes 177.253 and 177.254).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">