• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and Run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

THECowboy

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I was the victim of a hit-and-run yesterday. I was in my truck behind an 18-wheeler. A pick-up truck behind me decided he wanted to try and pass the 18-wheeler and me. When he realized he couldn't get by us, he got even with me and started coming into my lane. I had nowhere to go and I was honking the horn like crazy. He kept coming over struck my vehicle. He began to slow down and I thought he was pulling over, so I started to as well. Then he gets over to the left and passes me on the driver side while giving me the middle finger. I then decided to catch up to him so I could get the plates of his vehicle. I got the plates just before I got to work and called the state police there, it had been maybe 20-30 minutes since the accident. They said there was nothing they could do, but I could file a self-report basically for insurance needs. Then when I went to the station later that night to pick up the form, they said I could sign a ticket against the driver at the local court house. I have the Vehicle Owners name, address, phone number, etc and am having trouble on what to do from here. Do I need a lawyer or would this be a small claims court case. Would this even be worth it. I have probably $400 worth of damage to my truck. Dent and paint damage, side mirror damage, and the passenger window no longer works. I would assume the middle finger could be considered road rage. I was surprised the state troopers would not pursue this at all, even when I had the full license plate number from the other vehicle.

moburkes

What is your legal question?

If it were ME, I would contact my insurance company and file a claim. I would let them know that my vehicle is damaged, and I would give them the information that I have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">