• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

General Contractor & My Electricity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? FL

Here we go again with my electricity. On Nov. 16, 2005 the City Electric Inspector ordered my electricity off, even though I voluntarily kept it off, due to water intrusion coming through a light fixture. This was happening due to neglect of the roofers who were hired by the Association to repair the roofs that were damaged by Hurricane Wilma on 10/24/2005.

This is what the "ticket" says: "Turn off electric until roof repair is done and all drywall & electrical boxes are checked by a licensed electrical contractor. The roof had it's final inspection Jan. 20, 2006. The roof still leaks in my condo & is not repaired according to the re-roofing code. Yes, I have been complaining about this to the BOD since Jan. who say that it is my imagination. Last week, the BOD finally acknowledges that is no longer my imagination. :rolleyes:

Today, I saw my condo door open, went over, and found my electricity on. The lock on my outside breaker box was cut off, and there was a guy removing the interior part of my a/c. He said he had to do this to remove the freon. I told him about the electricity being ordered off until the place has been inspected by a licensed electrician.

The general contractor was on the premises. He told me that because he has a permit for the Asso. to do repairs that he can turn on my electricity without having his electrician first do the electrical inspection. 1) Is this correct?
2) Did he trespass by cutting off the lock on my breaker box?

He also told me that he would have the electricity on when his "crews" are working in my apt. No one is has my permission to use my electricity. He told me that there are no electric outlets in the common area that belongs to the HOA, which I do find very difficult to believe. Is the contractor or HOA responsible for paying the bill?

Edit - There is an electrical outlet in the common area. I went back over, looked, and found it.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Call your city inspections and tell them what the contractor did and ask them if a permit was needed for this work and to check on it.

Happy Trails

1) Is this correct? That doesn't sound right. You should call the electric inspector and get his take on that. Because the way the ticket reads, it was to remain off until it was inspected.

2) Did he trespass by cutting off the lock on my breaker box? Sounds like it to me.

He also told me that he would have the electricity on when his "crews" are working in my apt. No one is has my permission to use my electricity. He told me that there are no electric outlets in the common area that belongs to the HOA, which I do find very difficult to believe. Is the contractor or HOA responsible for paying the bill? Could be both, if the HOA gave them permission to go in there and turn it on. But this sounds like an uninformed GC that didn't think about what he was doing. He never should have cut the lock without finding out why it was locked.

BlondiePB

1) Is this correct? That doesn't sound right. You should call the electric inspector and get his take on that. Because the way the ticket reads, it was to remain off until it was inspected.
The Electric Inspector said that my condo must be inspected by a licensed electrician prior to the electricity being turned on by anyone, including the general contractor. Inspector is reporting this to the "big boss" and will go out to deal with the general contractor. Darn it, I forgot to ask him if this inspection can be done when the roof is still leaking.
2) Did he trespass by cutting off the lock on my breaker box? Sounds like it to me.
Yep, me too. Looks I have to go make a police report. This time, I'm bringing the FL statute with me. :D
He also told me that he would have the electricity on when his "crews" are working in my apt. No one is has my permission to use my electricity. He told me that there are no electric outlets in the common area that belongs to the HOA, which I do find very difficult to believe. Is the contractor or HOA responsible for paying the bill? Could be both, if the HOA gave them permission to go in there and turn it on. But this sounds like an uninformed GC that didn't think about what he was doing. He never should have cut the lock without finding out why it was locked.
The Prez of HOA is getting a letter from me and a cc to the general contractor regarding this and other issues, such as doing mold remediation when the roof is still leaking. I'm sending my bill to the HOA to pay. Another lock will be on my breaker box shortly this morning. :D

Wanna bet the Prez calls the Electric Inspector and tells him he can't talk to me like she did with the fire inspector? That went over like a lead balloon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit & Update for others who may be facing a similiar issue.

The general contractor had to send the City Electric Code Inspector a letter (on the g.c.'s letterhead) making him (the g.c.) liable for my property should anything happen while g.c. & his subcontractors are using the electricity. I'm sending the HOA the electric bill for them to pay.

Last edited:

Happy Trails

BlondiePB said:
Wanna bet the Prez calls the Electric Inspector and tells him he can't talk to me like she did with the fire inspector? That went over like a lead balloon.
The Prez wouldn't be that dumb to try a stunt like that again.

Ya think?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">