• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How about rental car CDW from 3rd party?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dadneedshelp

What is the name of your state? Residence: Wisconsin Rental: Montanna

My 21 yo son will be renting a car when he vacations in Montanna and he will have CDW coverage through his credit card that is secondary to his personal auto insurance. For $50 he can purchase a CDW policy with primary coverage from an online source with a limit of $35,000 and a $250 deductible. Although he is an excellent driver, I am somewhat apprehensive about his exposure where he will be unfamiliar with both the vehicle and the locale and will most likely be distraced by the the beautiful landscape of Glacier National Park. When you throw in the fact that the majority of the other drivers will be sightseeing as well, I envision an underwriter's nightmare! He has excellent liablitiy coverage on his own vehicle which will extend to the rental so I am not worried about any major accidents. My main concern is a minor fender-bender that is his fault and what it might do to his own insurance rates.

QUESTIONS:
1. Has anyone ever looked at 3rd party CDW and, if so, what should I be checking and/or watching for?
2. Has anyone had any claim experience with this type of 3rd party coverage?
3. Should I quit worrying and just let him go with his secondary credit card CDW?

Thank you in advance for any opinions, experiences, or advice as this father really does NOT know what is best.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">