• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alacea

What is the name of your state? MA

Hello everyone. Here's my story, hopefully someone will be able to give me some advise. My husband and I are about to break up after a very short marriage (it will be two years this month). Irreconcilable differences, very sad but we just cannot live with each other. Anyway the situation is we bought our house last August in both our names. I could never afford to keep this house myself if he moved out so it looks like I will be the one leaving. He has paid the bigger portion of the mortgage and the household bills as he earns more that I do. I don't want anything that I'm not entitled to but I don't want to walk away with nothing either. Am I entitled to anything? Thank you for your time and consideration.

well if you follow what everyone else on here might post after me

9 times out of 10, if BOTH names are on the mortgage, sell it...and personally, if i knew that he's paid most of the bills, i'd split 60/40, rather than 50/50...talk to him about putting it on the market...its likely that he'll have enough to put a down another home if he wants, and you'd have enough to pay up the rent for quite a few months, untill you can get on your feet again...is the home the only thing you have as community property?
either way, good luck...to you both...it might not sound like divorce is good now, but in the absence of children, you may both be better off...asi said, good luck to you both...

alacea

Any more info?

Thank you Z for your reply. I'm still looking for more information though. I would desperately like to get through this without a lawyer but have no clue how to divide things up. Is it possible? Or is it inevitable that I get a lawyer?

JETX

alacea said:
Thank you Z for your reply. I'm still looking for more information though.
Yep, you should. After all, that 'advice' was so much crap!!!
There is no way that anyone can even GUESS what you might have an expectation of receiving without a FULL and COMPLETE review of ALL the facts.

I would desperately like to get through this without a lawyer but have no clue how to divide things up. Is it possible?[/qutoe]
Not unless you are both in 100% agreement.
http://www.divorcesupport.com/divorce/Massachusetts-Property-Division-Factors-576.html

Or is it inevitable that I get a lawyer?
Pretty much... yep.

alacea

The mortgage is not in my name as I do not have a credit history in this country but it is on the deeds of the house. We do not have children together. I will check out that website Z and you are so right about both parties being 100% in agreement, what a wonderful world that would be. I also do not want to split everying 50/50 because he did pay more, I only want what is fair and not to battle.

LdiJ

alacea said:
The mortgage is not in my name as I do not have a credit history in this country but it is on the deeds of the house. We do not have children together. I will check out that website Z and you are so right about both parties being 100% in agreement, what a wonderful world that would be. I also do not want to split everying 50/50 because he did pay more, I only want what is fair and not to battle.
In most circumstances if you have only owned the home for a year its not likely that there is much equity in the home. The appropriate way to determine whether or not there is any equity is to get an appraisal of the home done. There is often NO equity after only one year of ownership....its often the other way around, that you are upside down on the loan.

alacea

There is often NO equity after only one year of ownership....its often the other way around, that you are upside down on the loan.[/QUOTE]

Very true, but we've spent a lot of money updating this house so an appraisal is a great idea, thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">