• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

backing out of driveway, fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pneufab

What is the name of your state?
Illinois

Last Wednesday my girlfriend was involved in a minor accident while backing out of our driveway. We live on the East side of a 2 lane street. She was backing out heading South. At the same time the gentleman living on the West side of the street also decided to back out and head South. She ended up backing into his rear door corner/wheel well opening. Initially I thought it was her fault. After reviewing the situation it appears she was already backing out and he "cut her off" (the front of his car was still in his driveway where she was already completely in the roadway. She did not file a police report because he mentioned he had a suspended license. He came over with an estimate for $1900. I told him I would have to file a claim with our insurance but chances are he would be liable for his damages and she would be liable for hers (minimal). He then came over today with an estimate for $850 and said if we could pay half he would be happy. I told him I needed his insurance info. and that we would just file a claim. He replied he didn't have it with him and that he would drop it off tomorrow.
Based on that info, does it sound like it is equal fault? Since no police report was filed is there a statue of limitations on reporting an accident? I am not really worried since worse case scenario is we pay $500 (deductible) he gets ticketed/arrested for driving on a suspended license and we are done with this mess.

Any info or comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you.

TonyWhat is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

pneufab said:
What is the name of your state?
Illinois

Last Wednesday my girlfriend was involved in a minor accident while backing out of our driveway. We live on the East side of a 2 lane street. She was backing out heading South. At the same time the gentleman living on the West side of the street also decided to back out and head South. She ended up backing into his rear door corner/wheel well opening. Initially I thought it was her fault. After reviewing the situation it appears she was already backing out and he "cut her off" (the front of his car was still in his driveway where she was already completely in the roadway. She did not file a police report because he mentioned he had a suspended license. He came over with an estimate for $1900. I told him I would have to file a claim with our insurance but chances are he would be liable for his damages and she would be liable for hers (minimal). He then came over today with an estimate for $850 and said if we could pay half he would be happy. I told him I needed his insurance info. and that we would just file a claim. He replied he didn't have it with him and that he would drop it off tomorrow.
Based on that info, does it sound like it is equal fault? Since no police report was filed is there a statue of limitations on reporting an accident? I am not really worried since worse case scenario is we pay $500 (deductible) he gets ticketed/arrested for driving on a suspended license and we are done with this mess.

Any info or comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you.

TonyWhat is the name of your state?
You can report the incident but don't think he'll be ticketed for anything. it's a sad game you're playing.

And there is no "we" here. If it's your girlfriend's car then SHE needs to deal with it.

pneufab

BelizeBreeze said:
You can report the incident but don't think he'll be ticketed for anything. it's a sad game you're playing.

And there is no "we" here. If it's your girlfriend's car then SHE needs to deal with it.
I appreciate the reply but, accident aside, I was under the impression that it is illegal to drive on a suspended license.

Please explain the "sad game" comment

Thanks,

Tony

BelizeBreeze

pneufab said:
I appreciate the reply but, accident aside, I was under the impression that it is illegal to drive on a suspended license.

Please explain the "sad game" comment

Thanks,

Tony
First of all, it's none of your business. And second, your 'game' falls just short of blackmail.

pneufab

Blackmail?

I will no longer acknowledge any of your responses.

I thought I would receive some sort of helpful advise instead I receive short one-liners and unsubstantiated assumptions.

Last time I checked you file a report with the authorities and contact your insurance agent when you are involved in an accident. Now that she plans on doing that it is considered "blackmail" because he mentioned he has a suspended license?

I should have known better.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">