• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrecked my buddy's mom's car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth17

I was driving my buddy's mom's car on the way home one night in the country. The car is a 2005 Honda Accord 2D. It had rained about 30min prior to the accident, so the roads were still a little damp but not bad. I was doing about 65mph on the country road rated at 55mph. There was a 45mph turn to the left ahead so I slowed down a but but it was sharper then I had anticipated. The car began to drift smoothly and I though I had it. Then it began to rapidly fishtail, ultimately going left into the ditch. The ditch was about a 3ft drop off from the road, so we rolled. Two and a half times. We both climbed out just fine though thank God. The curtain bags in both the front and rear had gone off. Both fronts were in tact. We hadn't hit a tree or pole luckily, considering they were all along the road.

The State boy came and they took pics and everything. I had to file a State Crash Report with the state boy. I explained everything I wrote here in the crash report. The cop said "Okay, I am going to issue a ticket tonight for Failure to Control" the he paused a minute and said in an atrocious voice "ooorrr you know what, I'm actually going to give you a ticket for Wreckless Operation. Your skid marks show you were completely left of center rounding that corner." I just said ok and didn't really say much more because of all the things running through my head at the time.

My question is, will the ticket for Wreckless Operation carry a heavier weight on my ticket cost and increase in insurance premium over the initially stated charge of Failure to Control? Was it legal for the cop to do what he did?

This happened last night so the insurance company hasn't yet looked at the car. I'm not sure if they will total it or not. The hood was completly smashed to the top of the seats, both sides all dented and scratch. The frame shouldn't be bent I wouldn't imagine considering we never struck a tree or pole. The front end from what I remember was still in good shape, atleast compared to the rest of the vehicle. When it rolled the motor died yet the CD player was still going. You think they will total it? Would I be better off that way?

I'm under the age of 18 still so I'm on my parents policy with Central. I asked when I got my license if I would be covered on other cars. They said most certainly, so if you rent a car don't buy the insurance!

Anyways, my dad said he will be contacting a lawyer tomorrow to see if something needs to be done or anything else of such, so I should have a little more info for you tomorrow or tuesday.

Thank you for your time,
Jordan S

(state in profile)

moburkes

What is your legal question?

By the way, you are covered to drive other people's vehicles ONLY AFTER THEIR insurance coverage has been exhausted. This only applies to liability. Since you damaged the vehicle, at the very least you should pay the woman's deductible. Yes, reckless driving (which is what you were doing-driving recklessly) carries more "weight" for the insurance company than does failure to control.

stealth17

moburkes said:
What is your legal question?

By the way, you are covered to drive other people's vehicles ONLY AFTER THEIR insurance coverage has been exhausted. This only applies to liability. Since you damaged the vehicle, at the very least you should pay the woman's deductible. Yes, reckless driving (which is what you were doing-driving recklessly) carries more "weight" for the insurance company than does failure to control.
Question is if the cop can do that, change his mind in the middle of his sentence. Heck, that is like a judge saying "I'm ganna give you 20years in prison with no change of parole. Errrr you know what? Scratch that, I'm ganna give you life in prison muahahahahhaha!"

I mean come on.

Insurance companies called and everything. They haven't estimated the damage yet though.

MHH

Believe me. When it comes to auto accidents, cops can say anything they want and can write any kind of ticket they want to. I learned that the hard way. Keep that in mind for future.

ecmst12

If you go to court, they might offer you a reduced charge.

It sounds to me like you are trying to come down on the cop for THINKING(even if it was out loud). Come on. If reckless driving was the more appropriate charge, then that's what he should have cited you for. If you don't agree, go to court, that's what it's there for!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">