• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I Just accept the Settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jend

Jen: Maryland

I was hit by another car that ran a stop sign two years ago . I went to to the hospital because I thought I had a concussion. I stayed home from work the next day and often when I wake up in the morning my neck is sore. I talked to the insurance company and thay said they would give me less than $1000 for personal injury but now when I said that was not sufficient they offered me a little over $3000 and they said anything over that amount I need proof. What should I do?

BelizeBreeze

jend said:

I was hit by another car that ran a stop sign two years ago . I went to to the hospital because I thought I had a concussion. I stayed home from work the next day and often when I wake up in the morning my neck is sore. I talked to the insurance company and thay said they would give me less than $1000 for personal injury but now when I said that was not sufficient they offered me a little over $3000 and they said anything over that amount I need proof. What should I do?
get proof?

S

shell007

jend said:

Only you can make this decision.

With that being said, since you did not have any broken bones and/or any permanent injuries, I would say getting an attorney might end up being a "looooong run for a short slide".

From what I've heard, $3000.00 isn't that bad for a sore neck.

Of course this is just my opinion...not fact.

runway123

How much were you actually offered?(place amount here)

What were your medical expenses to date with regard to your neck? (subtract amount from offer)

If you feel this amount(whatever is left) is enough for two years of soreness(and who knows what else) then take the deal.

Otherwise, get yourself an attorney, since the SOL on personal injury cases in your area is 3 years.

runway123

If there is still soreness, I would seek the advice of a health care professional (the soreness may be treated with therapy)

justalayman

Go to a doc to find out if your sore neck is from the accident or your pillow. Two years is a long time to have a sore neck without a diagnosis of any other injury.

If you need a new pillow, get one. If you have injuries that will remain, weigh your options then. You may have injuries that are treatable.

Find out what your problem actually is before you make a decision as to "is it enough?".
Don't wait too long as the statute of limitations is ticking away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">