• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KJWhitt

What is the name of your state? TX

If I win in small claims court and get a judgement against someone who had no insurance coverage who caused an auto accident which resulted in property damage to my vehicle, what will that judgement enable me to do as far trying to collect? I understand I cannot have his bank account or his wages garnished in Texas. What about property he owns? The guy put a "for sale" sign in front of his house a couple of days ago. :mad:

seniorjudge

KJWhitt said:
What is the name of your state? TX

If I win in small claims court and get a judgement against someone who had no insurance coverage who caused an auto accident which resulted in property damage to my vehicle, what will that judgement enable me to do as far trying to collect? I understand I cannot have his bank account or his wages garnished in Texas. What about property he owns? The guy put a "for sale" sign in front of his house a couple of days ago. :mad:
Contact the folks in your state who issue driver's licenses.

In some states, an unpaid judgment involving a car wreck can put the heavy hurt on the defendant.

KJWhitt

Yes, if awarded the judgement there's a form I can complete and send the DVM that should revoke his license. Im wondering about his property and if I can do something to insure I get paid before or after he sells it.

JETX

KJWhitt said:
If I win in small claims court and get a judgement against someone who had no insurance coverage who caused an auto accident which resulted in property damage to my vehicle, what will that judgement enable me to do as far trying to collect? I understand I cannot have his bank account or his wages garnished in Texas. What about property he owns? The guy put a "for sale" sign in front of his house a couple of days ago.
Judgments in Texas are harder to enforce then in most other states, since Texas exempts wages and has an unlimited homestead exemption.

However, you can sieze bank accounts, if you know where they are. The process is restrictive and you really, REALLY need to know what you are doing, or you can get hit with significant fees.

There are some other processes available to a judgment creditor that can be used to attempt recovery of a Texas judgment.

KJWhitt

JETX wrote:There are some other processes available to a judgment creditor that can be used to attempt recovery of a Texas judgment.

Can you tell me what these processes are or where I can find out about them?

Thank you for your help.:D

KJ

KJWhitt

All I need is money?

If I could afford an attorney, I'd certainly want it to be YOU! Thanks for all your help. I'll look for that book.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">