• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

support after remarriage - really??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Spuddysmom

What is the name of your state? WA

Just found this site and discovered I am posting a very similar question to an earlier post from WA.... Hmmm, must be in the water... Anyway, my husband was divorced from his first wife Nov. 1998 and has been paying spousal maintenance ever since. We just found out that she remarried 5 years ago - to the guy she was living with while married to my husband - anyway, at the end of the spousal maintenance decree it says "the husband shall pay maintenance monthly until either the death of either party or 10 years from the date of entry of the Decree of Dissolution of Marriage". I'm obviously not well versed in the law and have always assumed that support ends with remarriage. Is that not true? I do not begrudge her anything owed her, it just doesn't seem right.

seniorjudge

Spuddysmom said:

Just found this site and discovered I am posting a very similar question to an earlier post from WA.... Hmmm, must be in the water... Anyway, my husband was divorced from his first wife Nov. 1998 and has been paying spousal maintenance ever since. We just found out that she remarried 5 years ago - to the guy she was living with while married to my husband - anyway, at the end of the spousal maintenance decree it says "the husband shall pay maintenance monthly until either the death of either party or 10 years from the date of entry of the Decree of Dissolution of Marriage". I'm obviously not well versed in the law and have always assumed that support ends with remarriage. Is that not true? I do not begrudge her anything owed her, it just doesn't seem right.
Q: Is that not true?

A: It depends on what the judgment in the lawsuit says.

nextwife

Spuddysmom said:
the spousal maintenance decree...says "the husband shall pay maintenance monthly until either the death of either party or 10 years from the date of entry of the Decree of Dissolution of Marriage".
Then THAT is when his spousal support would end, as that is what this decree states.

AHA

Spuddysmom said:

Looks like he'll be paying for a couple of more years, unless he or she dies before that.

justalayman

AHA said:
Looks like he'll be paying for a couple of more years, unless he or she dies before that.
When I read that line, I heard a strange deep "wa-ha-ha-ha" sound from somewhere. Kind of like the laugh Bela Lagosi used in the dracula movies. Not sure what it means though.

To the OP: you are right, it doesn;t sound right but your hubby and his attorney apparently agreed to it.

Most maintainance agreements like to terminate upon remarriage. Some even terminate upon co-habitation of the recipient.

Apparently your hubby is a nice guy and didn't fight this odd request.

AHA

justalayman said:
When I read that line, I heard a strange deep "wa-ha-ha-ha" sound from somewhere. Kind of like the laugh Bela Lagosi used in the dracula movies. Not sure what it means though.
Cool. :D Hollywood, here I come with my pen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">