• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this allowed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LiLtw1nGrL

What is the name of your state? CA

I'm not really sure where to post this so please excuse me if I post this at a wrong place.

Our problem is not huge, but we would still like to know our rights as employees. We would like to know if it's required by law for the employer to provide a coffee maker for their employees. We used to have a coffee machine, however it broke about two years ago and our boss has refused to replace it. There has been many arguments about this. About 90% of the employees drink coffee. Because of this, we are forced to leave the office to get coffee, and we can only do this during our 15 mins break that is required by law. We would like to know if we have a right to ask for a coffee maker.

Thank you very much for your help!

fairisfair

you have the right to ask, your boss has the right to refuse. You also have the right to all pitch in and buy one. Or you have the right to drink other beverages. You also have the right to thank your lucky stars that this is your biggest employment issue.:D

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
LiLtw1nGrL said:

I'm not really sure where to post this so please excuse me if I post this at a wrong place.

Our problem is not huge, but we would still like to know our rights as employees. We would like to know if it's required by law for the employer to provide a coffee maker for their employees. We used to have a coffee machine, however it broke about two years ago and our boss has refused to replace it. There has been many arguments about this. About 90% of the employees drink coffee. Because of this, we are forced to leave the office to get coffee, and we can only do this during our 15 mins break that is required by law. We would like to know if we have a right to ask for a coffee maker.

You have the right to ask...and they have the right to refuse.
There is no legal requirement that a coffeemaker be provided.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In addition, you are not entitled by law to a 15 minute break. In your state, and very few others, there is a 10 minute break requirement for every four hours worked, but the only adult workers in the US who are entitled by law to a 15 minute break, barring a bona fide contract that says otherwise, are SOME hotel workers in the state of Illinois. If you are receiving 15 minute breaks, you are getting more than the law requires, whether you have a coffee maker (which is NOT required by law) or not.

BelizeBreeze

LiLtw1nGrL said:

This falls under the same legal theory as providing clean underwear if you have an accident....NADA.

LiLtw1nGrL

Thanks for all your answers. We actually did pitch in for a new coffeemaker, but she went nuts on us when she came in to work and found one sitting in the kitchen. So, we had to get rid of it. Oh well, I guess Starbucks will be happy about this :D Thanks all for your help.

ecmst12

Some employers won't allow one because of a supposed "fire hazard". Personally I think that's pretty dumb, but they're within their rights.

Proejo

ecmst12 said:
Some employers won't allow one because of a supposed "fire hazard". Personally I think that's pretty dumb, but they're within their rights.
But a thermos and some Starbucks. Bring your own. Your boss surely can't complain about that.

LiLtw1nGrL said:

OMG...What the hell is the world coming to?:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">