• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AArnold06

What is the name of your state? GA
I just purchased a '06 corolla. My daughter drove my car and was involved in a car accident. She received a ticket for being at fault. There was no damage/injury done to the car/person that she hit. My car however, is damaged fairly bad. I filed a claim with my insurance company and it was denied because I was told that she is not listed as a driver. Can I fight this or am I stuck with repairing the car out of my pocket.

divgradcurl

AArnold06 said:
What is the name of your state? GA
I just purchased a '06 corolla. My daughter drove my car and was involved in a car accident. She received a ticket for being at fault. There was no damage/injury done to the car/person that she hit. My car however, is damaged fairly bad. I filed a claim with my insurance company and it was denied because I was told that she is not listed as a driver. Can I fight this or am I stuck with repairing the car out of my pocket.
Of course you can fight it. Whether or not you will win is entirely dependent on what your insurance policy says. If your daughter lives with you, and is not listed as a driver, your chances of prevailing are very, very slim.

moburkes

So, is your daughter a household member? If she is, why didn't you add her to the policy, OR why did you remove her? Is she excluded? How old is she?

AArnold06

She is a member of the household. She just turned 18 last month. I didn't realize that there was an exclusion list until I called about the accident. I was only asked to list everyone that lives in the household. I was never, never informed of this exclusion list and what it means.

ecmst12

As I mentioned before, mine is. I don't know why you keep saying that. Every policy is different. My insurance company told me that I am covered as an occasional driver of other cars with the same coverage (full) and limits that I am covered on my car.

moburkes

ecmst12 said:
As I mentioned before, mine is. I don't know why you keep saying that. Every policy is different. My insurance company told me that I am covered as an occasional driver of other cars with the same coverage (full) and limits that I am covered on my car.
That's liability. This person is trying to get her OWN vehicle repaired. For that, the only thing that covers getting your own vehicle repaired in an at fault accident is collision, which is not transferable to another vehicle. Her liability may pay for 1. bodily injury 2. property damage. Both of the these are for the people that were hit, and their vehicle.

ecmst12

I understand the difference between liability and collision. I have collision coverage on other cars I happen to occasionally drive, because I have it on MY car. I specifically asked my insurance company about this.

moburkes

So, your policy represents all of the insurance companies out there? What does your policy (word for word) say about the definition of collision coverage, and what it covers? By the way-are you an insurance agent?

ecmst12

No, I'm not an agent. And I can't find my full policy booklet online (I'm not even sure I have one, the last one I got just had information about uninsured motorist coverage). At any rate, I'm not saying my insurance is just like all the others. I AM saying that your broad generalization is incorrect because there is at LEAST one exception.

moburkes

ecmst12 said:
No, I'm not an agent. And I can't find my full policy booklet online (I'm not even sure I have one, the last one I got just had information about uninsured motorist coverage). At any rate, I'm not saying my insurance is just like all the others. I AM saying that your broad generalization is incorrect because there is at LEAST one exception.
I feel as if you like to question EVERYTHING (that is a generalization) that I write. But its okay for YOU to make statements like:
I promise you
I think it would be
They most likely
I am not a doctor, but I would think
could be considered fraud
It wouldn't hurt
they might offer
It sounds like
You may be able to

Are those helpful? Lets just agree to stay away from each other, okay?

ecmst12

You really need to find better things to do then go searching through my posts and taking statements out of context.

*I* don't say something is true all the time unless I know it is. To get back on topic, my point was only that people should ask their agents or customer service reps before assuming they're not covered in a situation like this, because they might, in fact, be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">