• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

first step

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rimrock

What is the name of your state? nv my son was involved in an accident on school property. He hit the back of her stopped car. no police were called. was going to handle out of pocket. first estimate from her was $1500. went for more estimates. it has been over a month since the incident and now she wants me to submit it to my insurance because the estimates could be near $3000 plus car rental. Should I make the claim or wait until she does and i am contacted?? Also my son has moved out of state with new insurance. will his rate go up or mine??

rimrock

rimrock said:
What is the name of your state? nv my son was involved in an accident on school property. He hit the back of her stopped car. no police were called. was going to handle out of pocket. first estimate from her was $1500. went for more estimates. it has been over a month since the incident and now she wants me to submit it to my insurance because the estimates could be near $3000 plus car rental. Should I make the claim or wait until she does and i am contacted?? Also my son has moved out of state with new insurance. will his rate go up or mine??

JETX

rimrock said:
Should I make the claim or wait until she does and i am contacted??
Entirely your choice, no legal benefit either way.

Also my son has moved out of state with new insurance.
If the claim is paid out by your insurance... if there is any rate change it would be to yours.

moburkes

Not necessarily true. When I was in underwriting, I never charged the accident to the policyholder, unless they were the at-fault party. The general rule is that accidents follow the driver, and insurance follows the vehicle.

JETX

moburkes said:
Not necessarily true. When I was in underwriting, I never charged the accident to the policyholder, unless they were the at-fault party. The general rule is that accidents follow the driver, and insurance follows the vehicle.
Just semantics... maybe I should have edited to say:
In MOST cases, if there is a rate increase, it is to the party who was liable and whose insurance company paid the claim.... HOWEVER, you moburkes was your underwriter, he won't charge the accident to you.
Feel better now??? :eek:

The LEGALLY accurate answer is.... in a case of your insurance company paying a claim, versus your son who has a new policy with NO claim on it at all... if there is any premium increase it will be to YOUR insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">