• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

the ex & the last name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VGIRL

What is the name of your state? new york

can the court order an ex wife to stop using the ex husbands last name?What is the name of your state?

tigger22472

VGIRL said:

can the court order an ex wife to stop using the ex husbands last name?What is the name of your state?
Nope.. that is her legal name.

Oh and just for the record... if she were to remarry and upon divorce if the ex wants to take the first ex husbands name back.. that will be granted and nothing the ex can do.

ezmarelda

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title:--Romeo, doff thy name;
And for that name, which is no part of thee,
Take all myself.

Ljnsy

VGIRL said:

No AND:

What difference does it make if she keeps her ex-husbands last name? I've kept MY ex-husbands last name and we've been divorced for 8 years. I haven't changed it for 2 reasons. 1. My son has the same last name. and 2. It's a pain in the A$$ to change your name.

tigger22472

Ljnsy said:
No AND:

What difference does it make if she keeps her ex-husbands last name? I've kept MY ex-husbands last name and we've been divorced for 8 years. I haven't changed it for 2 reasons. 1. My son has the same last name. and 2. It's a pain in the A$$ to change your name.

My husband's ex remarried and 4 years later divorced, taking my husband's last name back. One of her reasons was because of their daughter's last name. I'm not going to say that he and even I were a little irked by it a little but legally there was nothing to do.

in my past fl divorce

there was a part in our paperwork that says (and this isnt exact wording) "restore wife's name towit(or something like that)..." and then she puts the name she wants...
and hey, unless you and she have the same name, it don't matter...i still have my ex husbands name, and i've been remarried and never took the now soon to be exes name lol...i knew it would end anyways, so y change it? and my ex hasnt remarried and knows but doesnt care i still use his name... now, when my fiance's divorce is final, he put he wanted her name changed back, b/c he doesnt want her to have it...and she has said she'll change it, b/c she doesnt want it(its irrevelant, but i hope she changes it, b/c she and i DO HAVE the same name lol...)

Rushia

ILOVEMYGSM3 said:
there was a part in our paperwork that says (and this isnt exact wording) "restore wife's name towit(or something like that)..." and then she puts the name she wants...
and hey, unless you and she have the same name, it don't matter...i still have my ex husbands name, and i've been remarried and never took the now soon to be exes name lol...i knew it would end anyways, so y change it? and my ex hasnt remarried and knows but doesnt care i still use his name... now, when my fiance's divorce is final, he put he wanted her name changed back, b/c he doesnt want her to have it...and she has said she'll change it, b/c she doesnt want it(its irrevelant, but i hope she changes it, b/c she and i DO HAVE the same name lol...)
OP is in NY, as far as I can tell in NY most divorces include that kind of wording. It's only if wife WANTS to change it not that she HAS to change it.

rushia

oh yeah i know that...i didnt want to change my name, and in fact, didnt even know when the hearing was...and the judge told him "I" had to be the one to say i wanted my maiden name back, not him...even though back then i did, he couldnt do it for me...i had to be in court to say so myself...i was just thinking, and may not have said, that if her name was going to be changed during the divorce, it would have been in the papers...

OP-as long as she can show she kept that name after she divorced the man ur posting about, then they will let her take it back after this episode...as of now, i can still change my name b/c even though its not in my papers, i do have a decree showing i'm divorced, however, my ex pretty much looks at it as though even though we dont have kids, i'm the only other 1 besides him(generation/marriage wise) who has that name(his dad was an only child)....now, this is rambling, but we have both agreed if i were to have a child, i could give it his name, and he would not object so long as i agreed on paper he is not financially responsible, except for the name(as in a cs case or something)

Rushia

ILOVEMYGSM3 said:
oh yeah i know that...i didnt want to change my name, and in fact, didnt even know when the hearing was...and the judge told him "I" had to be the one to say i wanted my maiden name back, not him...even though back then i did, he couldnt do it for me...i had to be in court to say so myself...i was just thinking, and may not have said, that if her name was going to be changed during the divorce, it would have been in the papers...

OP-as long as she can show she kept that name after she divorced the man ur posting about, then they will let her take it back after this episode...as of now, i can still change my name b/c even though its not in my papers, i do have a decree showing i'm divorced, however, my ex pretty much looks at it as though even though we dont have kids, i'm the only other 1 besides him(generation/marriage wise) who has that name(his dad was an only child)....now, this is rambling, but we have both agreed if i were to have a child, i could give it his name, and he would not object so long as i agreed on paper he is not financially responsible, except for the name(as in a cs case or something)
STOP!!! You have been told to stop your blathering. The OP is the new wife or gf and she simply wants to force the ex to change her name. It can't be done.

You Are Guilty

On the other hand, it is perfectly legal to change your own name to whatever you like. So you can go with "[Ex's Name] Isa Fatsmellyho" and not have any problems (well, except for a few snickers when you sign your checks).

tylersmom

You Are Guilty said:
On the other hand, it is perfectly legal to change your own name to whatever you like. So you can go with "[Ex's Name] Isa Fatsmellyho" and not have any problems (well, except for a few snickers when you sign your checks).

That was so funny - thank you for the comic relief!

I am divorced and have kept my ex's last name mainly because it's our son's last name. I am engaged and considering getting married soon (it's hard to take that plunge again!) and I'm still not sure I want to change my name again. Bottom line is that it's just a name. Thousands of other people probably have that last name too. What you should really be thinking about is why you feel so threatened by this woman that you are letting this bother you so much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">