• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong fine on traffic ticket?! What do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iasonn

What is the name of your state?
New Hampshire

I got a citation for not stopping at a red light.
Ticket is written to "contrary to RSA 265:9" I look this up on the provided fee schedule, and the fine read "RSA 265:9 Traffic Devices - $72.00"

There is a separate check box and complaint RSA 265:31, which on the fine schedule says
"RSA 269:31 Stop Sign / Yield Sign - $100"

The ticket specifies a fine of $100. As far as I can tell, that is not correct...

What recourse do I have? and who can I call... the court? I don't belive in paying the fine based on what is written, thats why they have a fee schedule.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

iasonn said:
What is the name of your state?
New Hampshire

I got a citation for not stopping at a red light.
Ticket is written to "contrary to RSA 265:9" I look this up on the provided fee schedule, and the fine read "RSA 265:9 Traffic Devices - $72.00".....There is a separate check box and complaint RSA 265:31, which on the fine schedule says
"RSA 269:31 Stop Sign / Yield Sign - $100"**************...What recourse do I have? and who can I call... the court? I don't belive in paying the fine based on what is written, thats why they have a fee schedule.
Thanks
Fine schedules usually state the basic penalty assessment, and within statutes you will usually find additional tack-on items, like court cost, in particular (and even stuff like hospital district charges). If add-ons are not in the statutes, you have a good point to raise with the judge....that assessment does not match prescribed figure for RSA 265:9, the charge....and more than likely you'll save the $28.00.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">