• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joinurse

What is the name of your state? California

My question is, I filed for divorce in August 2005, in March 2006 we went to court and I was told my divorce was final. However we were finishing up on the marital agreement. Her attorney said that she would finish the paperwork and file it within two weeks. Nothing has ever been filed nor have I received anything. I called the attorney's office and was told nothing is going to be filed at my ex's request until after July 1st, so that we would then have to file taxes together as a married couple, so she could benefit from the home etc. I to this day have never received anything from the courts. My attorney never sent me anything and he has since closed his practice with out any regard for my case. Is any of this true and is there anything that I can do?
ThanksWhat is the name of your state?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Contact the courts and see where exactly you stand. Also contact the local bar association and find out who has taken over your attorney's cases. Your attorney should have turned over open cases to another counsel or that poses big problems.

LdiJ

joinurse said:
What is the name of your state? California

My question is, I filed for divorce in August 2005, in March 2006 we went to court and I was told my divorce was final. However we were finishing up on the marital agreement. Her attorney said that she would finish the paperwork and file it within two weeks. Nothing has ever been filed nor have I received anything. I called the attorney's office and was told nothing is going to be filed at my ex's request until after July 1st, so that we would then have to file taxes together as a married couple, so she could benefit from the home etc. I to this day have never received anything from the courts. My attorney never sent me anything and he has since closed his practice with out any regard for my case. Is any of this true and is there anything that I can do?
ThanksWhat is the name of your state?
It is not true that you are required to file taxes as a married couple....at least not under the tax code. As long as you are divorced prior to December 31st you don't have to file as married. Even if you were required to file as married, you are not required to file jointly.

Her attorney may attempt to convince the judge to order you to file together....but even that isn't very likely. The judge wouldn't technically have the authority to do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">