• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

daughters speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlpiper

new york(upstate) 21 yr old daughter just got 1st speeding ticket.42mph in a 30.(on her way to jury duty,aint that a hoot)Anyway,she is on my insurance.Does anyone out there know what she should do.Cant really afford attorney.I know a lot of times they will reduce it to non-moving when you get to court, but can I count on that?She has no other tickets.Thanks

tlpiper said:
new york(upstate) 21 yr old daughter just got 1st speeding ticket.42mph in a 30.(on her way to jury duty,aint that a hoot)Anyway,she is on my insurance.Does anyone out there know what she should do.Cant really afford attorney.I know a lot of times they will reduce it to non-moving when you get to court, but can I count on that?She has no other tickets.Thanks
Don't know about New York. A number of states allow some latitude for a clean record driver in assessing penalty....usually if the charge is for a small infraction....like for 10MPH or less over the limit. It will be worth your daughter's time to research this in New York. Possibly she can take a defensive driving course instead of paying a fine, get the overage reduced to 40 in a 30 or non-moving, or deferred ajudication. But, she will have to face the judge or get a lawyer to achieve anything other than just paying up.

C

CheeseBlotto

Good luck getting a lawyer for less than several times more than what the fine would be.

Good God. Pay the man the $2.

moburkes

tlpiper said:
Yes, it will affect your insurance. Your daughter should pay the fine herself (in case you were thinking of paying it for her), and she should pay for the increase in the insurance as well, at renewal time. You can simply ask the agent what the premium would have been without that ticket.

BelizeBreeze

Six Black Roses said:
Yes, that's great legal advice. Horrah. Now go back to reading your Bible or something.
You are getting tiresome. I would strongly suggest you either curtail your posting until you learn a little about the law ( and not by virture of you posting a question here) or learn how to apply what little knowledge of law you have.

cepe10

tlpiper said:

IMO, you are already on the right track - go to court - if the leo doesn't show she stands a good chance of dismissal (ask for it), if not she stands a good chance of getting PBJ or some other eduction based on a good driving record - otherwise plan on a huge insurance hit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">