• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no insurance on scooter ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

delroth

What is the name of your state? SD
My 21 year old son built a small scooter with a 4 hp motor to cut down on gas consumption. One of his roommates drove the scooter in a residential area and got stopped and ticketed for no insurance. I can handle the fine of $100 but my son also got 30 days suspended drivers license and 1 year probation. He wasn't even the one driving. The did give him a work permit. He has no prior infractions, not even a speeding ticket. He is in college, 3.6 gpa and a pharmacy major. Is this a little steep as he wasn't even driving? I don't know who to ask.

seniorjudge

delroth said:
What is the name of your state? SD
My 21 year old son built a small scooter with a 4 hp motor to cut down on gas consumption. One of his roommates drove the scooter in a residential area and got stopped and ticketed for no insurance. I can handle the fine of $100 but my son also got 30 days suspended drivers license and 1 year probation. He wasn't even the one driving. The did give him a work permit. He has no prior infractions, not even a speeding ticket. He is in college, 3.6 gpa and a pharmacy major. Is this a little steep as he wasn't even driving? I don't know who to ask.
Q: Is this a little steep as he wasn't even driving?

A: Your son got off very lightly.

xylene

Under SD law a motorized vehicle is a motorized vehicle (even if small), and requires insurance.

It is always prudent to have insurance.

Son should consult the DMV about how to register and insurance requirments.

What is the EXACT displacment (not horsepower) of the engines in cubic centimeters (CC)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">