• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mediation confidentiality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlynch32

What is the name of your state? New York

I have been separated from my husband for over a year and would like to make it legal. We have decided to go to a mediator who also has a lawyer in the group to do all the court work. My question is this: my husband works mostly off the books. Can I tell the mediator this without getting him into trouble? Is everything we tell the mediator confidential?

Thank you for your help.

CandiceH

When I asked this question about mediators in regards to custody I was told that yes, everything in mediation was confidential. I was also told this when we sat down at the "round table". I am also in NY.
P.S. I WISH it wasnt confidential because the things that came out of the ex's mouth in that room Whoooaaa! Couldnt use it and still cant use it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
CandiceH said:
When I asked this question about mediators in regards to custody I was told that yes, everything in mediation was confidential. I was also told this when we sat down at the "round table". I am also in NY.
P.S. I WISH it wasnt confidential because the things that came out of the ex's mouth in that room Whoooaaa! Couldnt use it and still cant use it.
If you can confirm the information another way you can use it!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
dlynch32 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I have been separated from my husband for over a year and would like to make it legal. We have decided to go to a mediator who also has a lawyer in the group to do all the court work. My question is this: my husband works mostly off the books. Can I tell the mediator this without getting him into trouble? Is everything we tell the mediator confidential?

Thank you for your help.
99% of things are confidential. I state that because the mediator has an obligation to report any and all threats from one party to the other -- as in If you don't agree with me I will kill you. If one party threatens physical and bodily harm, that is NOT confidential. Everything else is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">