• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I have gone?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nullify

Ohio

I was waiting to turn left, and at the time the light turned yellow, there were already two vehicles waiting inside the intersection. My car was third, and I was over the pedestrian lane. It's my understanding after the fact that I should have been waiting behind the stopline and not have gone forward whatsoever, even though I see cars do it all the time. Therefore, I should not have been able to enter the middle of the intersection and turn after the light turned yellow.

So this is the question. I was over the pedestrian lane but I wasn't really blocking vehicle traffic. Although I shouldn't have gone past the stopline, after doing it, don't I have a duty to clear because I was blocking pedestrian traffic?

JETX

nullify said:
don't I have a duty to clear because I was blocking pedestrian traffic?
Only if you can do so safely... and at the risk of being cited for being in an intersection on a red light.

nullify

When I turned, I got into a car accident. I felt the car was far away, it was going slow, and although I didn't check the light again right when I turned, it had turned yellow a long time before I turned. Anyhow, long story short, I was just trying to fight my citation which I failed. The prosecutor pushed that I shouldn't have turned.

Also, I haven't found anything that states I should not enter an intersection when it's yellow.

"Vehicular traffic facing a steady circular yellow or yellow arrow signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter when vehicular traffic shall not enter the intersection."

I guess it's not written there, and maybe it's written elsewhere. But regarding the "steady yellow indication" there is nothing about running a red because I entered when yellow. It says explicitly that I shouldn't enter once red, and stated without mentioning yellow.

Thoughts?!

nullify said:
When I turned, I got into a car accident. I felt the car was far away, it was going slow, and although I didn't check the light again right when I turned, it had turned yellow a long time before I turned. Anyhow, long story short, I was just trying to fight my citation which I failed. The prosecutor pushed that I shouldn't have turned.

Also, I haven't found anything that states I should not enter an intersection when it's yellow.

"Vehicular traffic facing a steady circular yellow or yellow arrow signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter when vehicular traffic shall not enter the intersection."

I guess it's not written there, and maybe it's written elsewhere. But regarding the "steady yellow indication" there is nothing about running a red because I entered when yellow. It says explicitly that I shouldn't enter once red, and stated without mentioning yellow.

Thoughts?!
I asked a specific question.....Did you get a ticket for violating the pedestrian walk way?

And as it turns out...It doesn't have crap to do with pedestrians...Why ask?

Pulling teeth sucks....

You are at fault.

And don't try the pedestrian thing in court..you will give the judge either a belly laugh or nausea....I wouldn't gamble if I were you.

Last edited:

nullify

Sorry!

I got into an accident. I was turning, the other car was going straight. I got a citation for failing to yield. I'm just trying to find out about the specific point that I "ran a red light" as the prosecutor stated. It's hard finding this stuff in the traffic code.

=(

Last edited:
nullify said:
Sorry!

I got into an accident. I was turning, the other car was going straight. I got a citation for failing to yield. I'm just trying to find out about the specific point that I "ran a red light" as the prosecutor stated. It's hard finding this stuff in the traffic code.

=(
Not hard...you turned on a yellow..that subsequently turned red. You hit someone.

You are at fault.

nullify

I'm not really asking about fault. I'm asking about the prosecutor's specific statement that I shouldn't have gone forward and that I ran a red light. Like I said, I clearly made a mistake by going past the stopline. I thought that because I was obstructing the pedestrian lane, I would have to clear. Then when the vehicles in front turned out of the way, and the light was still yellow, I proceeded forward and turned when I thought it was safe. Is the at-fault aspect really relevant? The prosecutor's statement is that even if there was no accident, I shouldn't have gone--like it wasn't even an option. Is that right? I'm curious is this true, or the prosecutor was taking advantage of the fact that I didn't know how to use "objection" during his cross-examination.

And aren't vehicles turning left allowed to clear the intersection when red and safe to do so?

Last edited:
nullify said:
I'm not really asking about fault. I'm asking about the prosecutor's specific statement that I shouldn't have gone forward and that I ran a red light. Like I said, I clearly made a mistake by going past the stopline. I thought that because I was obstructing the pedestrian lane, I would have to clear. Then when the vehicles in front turned out of the way, and the light was still yellow, I proceeded forward and turned when I thought it was safe. Is the at-fault aspect really relevant? The prosecutor's statement is that even if there was no accident, I shouldn't have gone.
Are you really this dense?

There is no way out of the ticket. Pay it. Move on with life.

nullify

Uh, I did. I'm asking because it's relevant if I get sued. I didn't get a ticket for running a red light or anything. I want to know out of curiosity as well. Would you help me out by kindly offering answers to my questions?

Last edited:
nullify said:
Uh, I did. I'm asking because it's relevant if I get sued. I didn't get a ticket for running a red light or anything. I want to know out of curiosity as well. Would you help me out by kindly offering answers to my questions?
You are this dense....geez.:rolleyes:

OK...Kindly pick up a "Drivers Manual' from you local DMV...and review the simple crap that is on every 16 year old's driving exam.

If you still don't understand I am sure the DMV can help you with any questions.

nullify said:
Yeah, I have reviewed it. Unfortunately, it doesn't go into much detail. Thanks for your suggestion though.
Your welcome. Pay the fine...and be done. You will not win this one.

If you think you have a chance....the the whole WWW is infront of you...use it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">