• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change / Identity Theft Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrmagoo

What is the name of your state? VA
I'm not sure if this is the exact forum but here goes. I have an ex who kept her married name after the divorce. She later remarried assumed the new husband's name, but then comitted identity theft against me using the name kept after the divorce.

We were divorced in GA, she resides in SC. Who or what court would I petition to force or keep her from ever using my name even if she divorces current husband which it looks like might happen. I know its a woman's right, but I don't want her to ever have the ability to use my name again. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
mrmagoo said:
I'm not sure if this is the exact forum but here goes. I have an ex who kept her married name after the divorce.

Okay your ex kept her married last name which is the same as yours when you divorced.

She later remarried assumed the new husband's name, but then comitted identity theft against me using the name kept after the divorce.

How did she commit identity theft against you? Using her former last name is NOT identity theft against you though it could be fraud. Could be. More facts would be necessary. Your last name does not belong only to you. Now if she used your first, middle and last name, then that might be approaching what could be identity theft.

We were divorced in GA, she resides in SC. Who or what court would I petition to force or keep her from ever using my name even if she divorces current husband which it looks like might happen. I know its a woman's right, but I don't want her to ever have the ability to use my name again. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
You can't do it. It is NOT your name. It is her former name. She has the right to use it or go back to it or whatever. Get over it.

ceara19

mrmagoo said:
I'm not sure if this is the exact forum but here goes. I have an ex who kept her married name after the divorce. She later remarried assumed the new husband's name, but then comitted identity theft against me using the name kept after the divorce.

And will you be suing everyone else in the world that just happens to have the same last name as you? If you don't want to share your name, come up with a truly original moniker and legally change YOUR last name.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
ceara19 said:
And will you be suing everyone else in the world that just happens to have the same last name as you? If you don't want to share your name, come up with a truly original moniker and legally change YOUR last name.
yes but Mr. Magoo is taken and is not his name. Maybe the cartoon should sue him. :rolleyes: Does that make him an identity thief?

mrmagoo

Ohiogal, ceara19

never assume things unless you acutally walk in another person's shoes. my ex-wife who kept her married name after our divorce, same as mine. Used my person information and committed identity theft and fraud against me. She opened credit accounts and loans in my name using my personal information and then used the fact that she still had the same married name and placed herself on the accounts as well as though we were still married.

She then ran up the credit and defaulted on these accounts leaving me holding the bag to the tune of about 60K. Judging from your usernames, I believe you are both women. In no way am I against a woman keeping their married name when they divorce, its the law and their right to do so. My ex-wife knows my personal information and she has been found guilty of identity theft. If she gets divorced again I just don't want her using my last name anymore as it would be too easy for her to committ identity theft against me again.
All I asked for was some advice and not angry rhetoric, but thank you both all the same.

LdiJ

There is truly nothing that you can do to stop her from taking your name back if she chooses to do so. It became HER name when she took it in the first place.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
mrmagoo said:
Ohiogal, ceara19

never assume things unless you acutally walk in another person's shoes. my ex-wife who kept her married name after our divorce, same as mine. Used my person information and committed identity theft and fraud against me. She opened credit accounts and loans in my name using my personal information and then used the fact that she still had the same married name and placed herself on the accounts as well as though we were still married.

She then ran up the credit and defaulted on these accounts leaving me holding the bag to the tune of about 60K. Judging from your usernames, I believe you are both women. In no way am I against a woman keeping their married name when they divorce, its the law and their right to do so. My ex-wife knows my personal information and she has been found guilty of identity theft. If she gets divorced again I just don't want her using my last name anymore as it would be too easy for her to committ identity theft against me again.
All I asked for was some advice and not angry rhetoric, but thank you both all the same.
We respond to what you post. You never posted that she was using your entire name to obtain credit and such but were just whining about the fact that she might keep your last name. Those are two very different issues. If she used your social and full name (first, middle, last) then you may have an identify theft issue. So go to the police and file a report if you have proof that it was her if she does it again. She has already been found guilty you say. You have no gripe about the name though as you have been told.
If you want accurate answers then post all the RELEVANT facts. If you cant' do that, don't moan and gripe abuot the fact that the answer is not right.

mrmagoo

Ohiongal, except of original post, please note the 3rd sentence in paragraph 1:

I clearly mentioned that she committed identity theft against me using the name kept after the divorce. I just didn't go into great detail about the identity theft portion. In either case, I appreciate you and the other forum members who viewed and responded. Most of the people that come here are decent enough and are simply looking for some advice, or suggestions and possibly another point of view. I just felt the sarcastic comments were not neccesary. Good luck and thanks for your advice.

mrmagoo

LdiJ,

Thanks for the comment, I was already aware of that. Again, I was wondering if there was something I could do about it with regards to the identity theft issue and how they were related to her using her previous married name. Thanks again.

BelizeBreeze

mrmagoo said:

I clearly mentioned that she committed identity theft against me using the name kept after the divorce. I just didn't go into great detail about the identity theft portion. In either case, I appreciate you and the other forum members who viewed and responded. Most of the people that come here are decent enough and are simply looking for some advice, or suggestions and possibly another point of view. I just felt the sarcastic comments were not neccesary. Good luck and thanks for your advice.
So you make such a charge on a legal advice site, and don't feel it's important enough to share the exact details?

Then the ONLY answer that is legally valid is you have NO CASE. Move on.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
mrmagoo said:

I'm not sure if this is the exact forum but here goes. I have an ex who kept her married name after the divorce. She later remarried assumed the new husband's name, but then comitted identity theft against me using the name kept after the divorce. We were divorced in GA, she resides in SC. Who or what court would I petition to force or keep her from ever using my name even if she divorces current husband which it looks like might happen. I know its a woman's right, but I don't want her to ever have the ability to use my name again. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

The bolded part stated that she USED THE NAME KEPT AFTER THE DIVORCE which would have been her first name and her last name as married to you which is NOT identity theft. You never said she USED YOUR FULL NAME. Your name is NOT the name she kept after the divorce from you> TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. Speak clearly, write so that it comprehended and include all relevant details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">