• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House - title/mtg.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scaredandalone

What is the name of your state? TN

Things have been rocky at home lately but we are trying to fix things. My husband is constantly threatening divorce. He is saying that he wants his name on the title to our house. I bought the house shortly before we married(with a substantial amount given to ME by my parents) and currently the mtg and title are in my name only - not even my married name. Husband has put a ton of work into the property - fences and outbuildings ect. All debt and assets are in my name - he has HORRIBLE credit and makes less than 10K a year. I make closer to 40K.

I am scared - I don't want to lose my husband but if he goes through with this I don't want to lose all my money either. I have no problem putting his name on the house - it just scares me to think that he is only asking because he thinks he'll get the house if he leaves me.

SO I guess my question is - would putting his name on the house really change much since he'd be entitled to the increased equity anyway? Or would I basically be screwing myself since the loan is only in my name and the title would be in both.

Sorry this is so rambling - just never thought I'd be asking this type of stuff**************...

seniorjudge

scaredandalone said:

Things have been rocky at home lately but we are trying to fix things. My husband is constantly threatening divorce. He is saying that he wants his name on the title to our house. I bought the house shortly before we married(with a substantial amount given to ME by my parents) and currently the mtg and title are in my name only - not even my married name. Husband has put a ton of work into the property - fences and outbuildings ect. All debt and assets are in my name - he has HORRIBLE credit and makes less than 10K a year. I make closer to 40K.

I am scared - I don't want to lose my husband but if he goes through with this I don't want to lose all my money either. I have no problem putting his name on the house - it just scares me to think that he is only asking because he thinks he'll get the house if he leaves me.

SO I guess my question is - would putting his name on the house really change much since he'd be entitled to the increased equity anyway? Or would I basically be screwing myself since the loan is only in my name and the title would be in both.

Sorry this is so rambling - just never thought I'd be asking this type of stuff**************...

Don't give up anything.

Don't sign anything.

Bali Hai

scaredandalone said:

The house is marital property except the short period before you married and perhaps less the gift your parents gave to you (if you can prove it).

Not signing anything now would just make the issue less complicated should there be a divorce, but, would not increase his share or increase your share whether he is on the title/mortgage or not.

BTW, you make 5 times the income, be thinking about alimony.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">