• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce debt question ( California)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sunniwest

Do I, and When do I, place an ad in the newspaper, stating that I will only be responsible for the debt that I incur from this date forward? Is it OK to do it now or do I have to wait until the divorde is final?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sunniwest said:
Do I, and When do I, place an ad in the newspaper, stating that I will only be responsible for the debt that I incur from this date forward? Is it OK to do it now or do I have to wait until the divorde is final?
My response:

You don't ever do that.

That's what final decrees of divorce are for. In your final decree, all matters will be agreed upon - - including financial matters - - who pays what, who gets what, etc.

Look in your ads section of your newspaper. You won't find any such ads any longer. And, if you do, they're useless under California law, because California is a Community Property State, and all debts are joint obligations until a court says otherwise. So, such ads, while they used to be used in California, no longer have any force or effect.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">