• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spousal support. 1 toddler. new subject.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

i have been married 4 years and have a 2 year old child that i am looking after full time. if i separate can I receive support prior to divorce, .how long does ti take through the courts. What % of H income is it usually and for how long?. Is it usually for 1/2 of marriage which would be for 2 years if I have a young child that will be goign to school in 2 years?.
Thankyou.

Silverplum

kimberlyrosem said:
i have been married 4 years and have a 2 year old child that i am looking after full time. if i separate can I receive support prior to divorce, .how long does ti take through the courts. What % of H income is it usually and for how long?. Is it usually for 1/2 of marriage which would be for 2 years if I have a young child that will be goign to school in 2 years?.
Thankyou.
sigh**************:rolleyes:
This is not new. You keep asking the same questions over and over.

nextwife

If you have only been married four years then expect to return to work to support yourself. The child's father and you are responsible to support the child. A two year old can go to a preschool program (mine did and it was great socialization for her) during the day. Many, many women with two year olds work, and their kids grow up just fine. You and dad will share the childcare expenses.

seniorjudge

nextwife said:
If you have only been married four years then expect to return to work to support yourself. The child's father and you are responsible to support the child. A two year old can go to a preschool program (mine did and it was great socialization for her) during the day. Many, many women with two year olds work, and their kids grow up just fine. You and dad will share the childcare expenses.
Please do not encourage serial posters. Thank you.:cool:

averad

kimberlyrosem said:
What is the name of your state? CA
I am married and have just made an individual basic trust to try ot protect my personal assetts in case of divorce. WE are gettign along right now so he will probaby sign what I ask him to sign. so what should I get him to sign to keep my property in Trust separate . A simple signed agreement declaring he will not make any claims on this trust?
Thanks.
it was love from the start.

reimbursement alimony?

I did not have work skills before. I traded the stockmarket and lent him all the money in my trading ccount 35k for his business so I no longer have funds to trade with so cannot just back to work. iIs this grounds for reimbursement alimony even though we have been married 4 years. Once he has repaid me then i will be abel to use that money to go back to work support myself once again. How would the court look at this?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
For starters, you'll get a portion of marital assets. At "best", when it comes to spousal support, you'll get a bit in rehabilitative alimony to allow you to gain a skill so that you can support yourself. I'm sorry, but in this day and age, it is absurd for a normal adult to be unable to support oneself.

nextwife

stealth2 said:
For starters, you'll get a portion of marital assets. At "best", when it comes to spousal support, you'll get a bit in rehabilitative alimony to allow you to gain a skill so that you can support yourself. I'm sorry, but in this day and age, it is absurd for a normal adult to be unable to support oneself.

Agreed. Everyone knows that "trading stocks" is pretty much another form of legalized gambling. One can also LOOSE money, not just make money. Your lack of job skills is NOT because of the decades you devoted to him and this marriage, it is because of YOUR failure to do anything to develop job skills that would make you employable. Your choice to not learn how to work is NOT a reason he should have to support you when married for so short a time. ALL women need job skills - their significant other can become unemployed, ill, disabled, or whatever and they need to be able to support their family if the other parent can't.

Last edited:

CandiceH

There are always options to earn a living. There are so many women that I know that have gone through the same thing - short marriages, kids, etc. You DO have a marketable skill. Do you know how to take care of young children? THAT is a skill. Build on it.

update to spousal support after 4 years.

i visited a lawyer. In This part of CA if married for 4 years and proof of lending husband all business money he needed in first 18 months of marrriage to get him started lawyer says I am entitled to spousal support for approx 1/2 that time , 2 years of aprox 25% of his gross income based on me working or having the ability to work and earn minimum wage. This way I get back the money i lent him. lawyer had a computer program and punched in husbands income plus my minimum wage I could earn and came up with the amount that is generally awarded. i should file but stay in residence until support order comes through about 6 weeks later which would be applied for at same time as divorce then move out.
i hope this is helpful to anyone esle in my situation. Anyone disagree with anything here.

ceara19

kimberlyrosem said:
i visited a lawyer. In This part of CA if married for 4 years and proof of lending husband all business money he needed in first 18 months of marrriage to get him started lawyer says I am entitled to spousal support for approx 1/2 that time , 2 years of aprox 25% of his gross income based on me working or having the ability to work and earn minimum wage. This way I get back the money i lent him. lawyer had a computer program and punched in husbands income plus my minimum wage I could earn and came up with the amount that is generally awarded. i should file but stay in residence until support order comes through about 6 weeks later which would be applied for at same time as divorce then move out.
i hope this is helpful to anyone esle in my situation. Anyone disagree with anything here.
The lawyer has only told you what COULD happen. Spousal support is NOT like child support, the judge has MUCH more desecration when deciding whether or not to grant SS. If your attorney is telling you that you have a 100% chance of getting spousal support, find a new lawyer.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
ceara19 said:
The lawyer has only told you what COULD happen. Spousal support is NOT like child support, the judge has MUCH more desecration when deciding whether or not to grant SS. If your attorney is telling you that you have a 100% chance of getting spousal support, find a new lawyer.
Ceara I think you meant discretion not desecration. While judges could desecrate things that normally gets them in trouble if they do it in the line of duty -- desecration of the flag or a cross would not make them popular. Desecration of the law with spousal support would most probably get them disciplined.

ceara19

Ohiogal said:
Ceara I think you meant discretion not desecration. While judges could desecrate things that normally gets them in trouble if they do it in the line of duty -- desecration of the flag or a cross would not make them popular. Desecration of the law with spousal support would most probably get them disciplined.
OOPS!!!!! I can't believe I missed that. My PC corrects typos automatically and sometimes it comes up with some interesting replacements. Although there are some judges that my mistake describes to a T.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">