• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car broken into in company parking lot...are they responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My car had gotten broken into last night in my companie's parking lot. I was at work at the time. It happened between 4:30pm and 8:00pm. The parking lot is decently lit. And we have security guards and video cameras.

But none of those factors stopped someone from breaking into two cars last night in the parking lot. They took my radio, cell phone an CD's. They literally tore apart my center console to get the CD player out of the car though. I'm not sure what the actual cost of repair will be, but the items alone add up to around $400.

My deductible on my insurance is $500. And I have full coverage.

I asked at work and was told that they are not responsible and that they cannot file a claim with their insurance and they will not help with the repairs.

Can they do this? How responsible are they in these matters? Seems like the building insurance would cover things like this. Are they just trying to blow me off? Help!!!

averad

Your work is not liable for the criminal acts of third parties

They generally have to only provide "minimal security", such as lights. And if there's a sign saying something like "park at your own risk", you're really in trouble. There is no requirement that they guarantee absolute safety.

Last edited:
Well that sucks. I know that they don't have any type of signs saying park at your own risk or anything. But it just sucks that now it's going to go against my insurance and then I'm sure they'll raise my rates! :mad:

moburkes

Its not going to go against your insurance. The damage to your vehicle and your radio are the only things covered by your insurance, and with a $500 deductible, what would the insurance pay for? The CDs and cell phone are covered by renters/homeowners insurance, not auto insurance. And, even if you did file a claim, it is comprehensive, which normally does not affect your rates.

Both my auto and homeowners insurace have $500 deductables.

So as far as my CD's and cell phone, I'm out of luck then I guess.

I'm fairly sure though that with my radio being about $200 and there being substantial damage to the dash, it would be over the $500 deductible. I'm just not sure how much over.

moburkes

Obviously, its up to you. I was just pointing out, because I didn't think that you realized, that all of this is not filed under auto insurance. Go get 2 or 3 estimates for repair, then make your decision. Its probably not worth the home claim, even if it is worth the auto claim.

You Are Guilty

averad said:
You work is not liable for the criminal acts of third parties

They generally have to only provide "minimal security", such as lights. And if there's a sign saying something like "park at your own risk", you're really in trouble. There is no requirement that they guarantee absolute safety.
Well said! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">