• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how can we force a public defender to work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PrincessD

What is the name of your state? Florida

My husband is arrested for first felony degree.First he had one public defender,he quited and now the second public defender refuses to defend him as it should be!How can we force him to provide us discovery and how can we compel him to call witness on my husband's behalf?It sounds absurd but it is true and he is supposed to be our lawyer!I appreciate any answer or advice!

marine

speak to the presiding judge: pull a 'Saddam'--file a motion for new counsel. Devil's advocate: the attorney may be working as diligently as possible. We often dont see the minutia that ensues and the judges assign cases to the defense attornies usually having worked with them in the past so you may have to overcome that burden.

A long term solution to this problem, the inequity in counsel, would be to pay public defenders on a win/lose basis!

T

thepizzaguy

PrincessD said:

My husband is arrested for first felony degree.First he had one public defender,he quited and now the second public defender refuses to defend him as it should be!How can we force him to provide us discovery and how can we compel him to call witness on my husband's behalf?It sounds absurd but it is true and he is supposed to be our lawyer!I appreciate any answer or advice!
For sure, for sure. Gonna have to talk to the judge.

It would be nice if public defenders got paid for what they win versus what they lose. Maybe it would level out lady justice's weights a little more.

PrincessD said:

Princess:

Triplicate post!
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=329267
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=329265

It's painfully obvious why the PD *quitted!*

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">