• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Careless Driving, can i fight it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GMCsuburban

What is the name of your state?
New Jersey

It had just started to rain, and i made a right turn onto a street. I feel that I was not taking the turn too quickly, or in any way being careless. However, shortly after turning the rear of my vehicle began to lose traction, i tried to compensate for this by slightly turning the wheel, but instead it spun all the way around and i hit a fence and a speed limit sign. It was at this moment that a State Trooper was driving by. She issued me a ticket for careless driving. I paid the person for repairs to their fence within a week of the accident. I was going to go to court and get the ticket amended to 97.3 (careless driving, but no points involved... i think the total after court costs and state cost is $330). However, when i went to the municipal court which it said to go to. They told me that the accident didn't happen in their town, it's the town i live in where the accident occurred, not the town that begins two traffic lights away. After finding out that they also haven't had 3PM court in either town for five years, i got the police report, and she claims that i was driving too fast for the conditions and i made a left turn onto the road, which is impossible because there is no road to make a left from and end up in the direction which i was traveling. Do you think i can challenge this ticket because of the multitude of errors involved?
-Ticket says wrong municipality, and gave a false court date/time
-Police report claims that I made a left turn, which isn't possible
-Officer did not actually see the accident, only my vehicle up against a chain link fence and touching a speed limit sign that was slightly bent.

please help, i've gotten a careless driving ticket once before, and i don't want to pay that much for a simple accident, i honestly i went from a stop and turned at maybe 15 mph onto a 40 mph road, when i lost control i was going approximately 30 mph. A lawyer would end up costing about as much as just paying it.

Some Random Guy

Feel free to fight it, but don't expect to win. The police officer is not a cartographer and has made some minor mistakes, but the evidence supports the charge.

39:4-97. Careless driving
A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty of careless driving.

Since you did in fact damage property, you were driving in a manner likely to endanger property by definition. See if you can get it reduced, but don't expect a walk on this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">