• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully accused for improper lane change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Florin

State: UTAH

Yesterday, I was driving my BMW home from work on a relatively busy boulevard, and I passed a police cruiser (driving well within the speed limit). I live in Utah.
As I changed lanes, using my turn signal the police car immediately jumped out of traffic and came after me.
I signaled again and stopped on a small side road and turned on my hazard lights, waiting in the car for the police officer.
He came and explained that I was stopped for improper lane change as I had not used my blinkers. I politely told the officer that I had used them and also politely asked him if he was sure I didn’t. He said he was sure (even though I can’t tell if he really had a clear line of sight to be able to see my blinkers).
I know for sure that I used the blinkers, as I am the type of person who always comments when other people don’t do it. I even use the blinkers in the parking lots or on empty roads in the middle of the night (not to mention that I got my first drivers license in a country in which due to the very ‘hazardous’ nature of the driving habits, you want to be sure that everybody knows when you want to turn or change lanes).
After the citation was issued and the police officer left, I checked my blinkers to be sure they really work. They do work (not to mention that the car also tells me and keeps track of every situation when any bulbs or LEDs are burned or defective)
So, now I am in a situation in which I believe I have been wrongfully accused for something I did not do. My first reaction would be to say that the officer was unethical, but I also see that I must consider also that he might not have seen my blinkers.
Because I felt very strong about being wrongfully accused, yesterday immediately after this incident I drove to the police station and filed a complaint against the officer (in retrospect I don’t know if that was a good idea, seeing that now I consider also the option that he didn’t see the blinkers work).
I am prepared to go to court and explain to the judge my situation. I don’t know what chances I have, being that is my word against the officer’s (unless the police cruiser had some video recording of the incident). I feel it is a matter of principle and even my moral obligation to fight against being wrongfully accused.
Being also a pragmatic person, the question now is what are my chances and options to resolve this dilemma.

Justice For All

If you loose in the informal hearing, try for a formal hearing. This way you will get a chance to speak to the DA. If you have a good record the DA might let it go.

Florin said:
State: UTAH
I am prepared to go to court and explain to the judge my situation. I don’t know what chances I have, being that is my word against the officer’s (unless the police cruiser had some video recording of the incident). I feel it is a matter of principle and even my moral obligation to fight against being wrongfully accused.
Being also a pragmatic person, the question now is what are my chances and options to resolve this dilemma.
Your dilemma is a shared one. Thousands of citations (maybe even millions) are handed out, due to reasons other than a proper observation by an officer of a violation. I always recommend a presentation in court, if it goes beyond your word against cop's word. Without that presentation, the only good it does is to waste the time of an errant or dishonest cop. You still pay. As to that "principle" and the "moral obligation" you mention, I believe that way, too. The fact that traffic citations are commonly treated as a thing too small and hopeless to trouble with insisting or urging be justly issued has long permitted enforcement people latitude to play fast and loose with civil and constitutional rights. Due the reasonable concern that some innocents got/get zapped by sloppy cop work, the death penalty is no longer used in most places. Same principles apply in cases with traffic tickets, and if a wreck ain't involved, there's no DNA to spring an innocent driver.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">