• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not required to sign a speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

azara

I was driving through the great state of Idaho, in the middle of the wheat fields with my cruise control on. I got pulled over for speeding. I was cooperative and told him that my speedometer read 75 (the posted speed limit). He took my license back to his car and came back with a ticket but didn't have me sign it. I'm wondering if because he didn't have me sign it I can contest that I never recieved a ticket in the first place. Any thoughts?

azara said:
I was driving through the great state of Idaho, in the middle of the wheat fields with my cruise control on. I got pulled over for speeding. I was cooperative and told him that my speedometer read 75 (the posted speed limit). He took my license back to his car and came back with a ticket but didn't have me sign it. I'm wondering if because he didn't have me sign it I can contest that I never recieved a ticket in the first place. Any thoughts?
What counts is the case filed by the cop....usually fairly well described on the citation. Has nothing to do with whether or not you signed the ticket. That signature is just a personal bond, indicating your intention to respond to what the law in Idaho requires of a defendant....to pay up or appear in court. If you don't do one of those things, in a timely manner, almost surely there will be added costs, or else your home state will yank your driver's license. Are you prepared to face a judge and state, for the record, that you were not driving when and where the cop claims?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">