• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hostile Work Environment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

she2003

California

Due to 'politics', Director has a vendetta against our team. The organization is hostile. Manager of our team was demoted - is now my peer. Another team member has taken leave of absence. Director & my former manager do not get along.

In April, my former manager's position was posted. I had no intention of applying for the position. One day when I was in a meeting with the Director, she asked me whether I'd considered applying for the position. I told her I'd considered it, but decided not to. She encouraged me and said that I really should apply. She complimented my work, and said I should think about it. She said she knew that I wasn't feeling well in the past, but that I didn't have to talk to her about it. (About a year ago, I had an illness). I told her that I didn't mind - that I was feeling great now - and, that I would give the position some thought - told her I was up to it health-wise. She said if I decided to apply, to apply through the online system to make it formal. I got to thinking about it and decided to apply - advancement opportunity. I submitted my resume online, then emailed the Director to let her know that per our conversation, I had applied.

I was contacted by HR and an interview was scheduled. One day while I was scheduling an appointment through our email system, I noticed my Director's calendar. She had the dates/times/names of the people that she was interviewing for the position - INCLUDING ME. This means that everyone in our organization had the ability to see that I had applied for the position and was being interviewed. My teammates must have noticed because I got the cold shoulder for a couple of days.

The interviews were a joke - I knew at that very moment that I was not being seriously considered for the job - this was some type of a set up - I was being used as a pawn in some political statement - I think it was to turn my team upside down even more. The first interview was to be with the Director and the finance person. While waiting for the Director, who was 15 minutes late, the finance person started talking negatively about my teammates - specifically, the one that used to be my manager and another person who is very verbal. When the Director did finally join us, she said she had no questions for me because we'd already talked (referring to the day when she encouraged me to apply). The finance person mentioned that we had been talking about my teammates and the Director rolled her eyes and said they are a "pain in the ass". I went onto the next interviewer (different department). He had one question for me as he sat back all puffed up in his chair with his arms folded - Why did I want the position? I told him that it was an advancement opportunity. He then started slamming the behavior of my teammates as well, stating that they need someone to come in and fire them if they don't shape up. No further questions....he just went on and on about what he sees wrong with the organization and his ideas for fixing it. Last person I interviewed with talked for an hour - no questions for me - again noting that my teammates are too political and are out of control.

Bottom line - these were not interviews - all I heard was about how awful my teammates are and how they are looking for someone to come in and shake them up. After these 'interviews', I was left feeling like "what the heck just happened to me"? I almost told my teammates about this - but, bit my tongue. I know it is wrong for 'managers/interviewers' to be talking about my co-workers this way in what is supposed to be a job interview.

Well, several weeks went by and I'd heard nothing. While passing the Director's Admin Assistant in the hall one day, he casually mentioned that oh by the way, he heard that they were hiring someone else for the position. He noted that they might make me a group leader instead. I thanked him for the insight since I hadn't heard anything yet. GAG

About a week later, the Director called me in and said the 4 managers had made a unanimous decision to hire an outsider for the position. The reason? If I were hired, my co-workers could retaliate against the company, the Director, and me personally. She said that we could all be sued and she knows that at least 2 of my co-workers would sue for retaliation. She said she didn't want to put me in the position of being sued along with her and the company. I smiled politely and thanked her for the update.

I am more qualified than the person that has been hired from the outside. The new manager's first task is to write performance reviews for our team. How in the heck does somebody that doesn't even know you write your performance review for the past year?!

Yes - I know - I need to get another job. I'm looking. But in the meantime, I believe I have been abused, harassed, made a fool of, and treated unfairly. Is there any legal recourse for this type of situation?

Thank you for listening.What is the name of your state?

mlane58

Your post doesn't remotely come close to the definition of a hostile work enviroment. “Hostile work environment” is speech or conduct that is “severe or pervasive” enough to create a “hostile or abusive work environment based on an individual's race, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status.

she2003

Ok...thank you for providing the legal definition of a hostile work environment - I didn't know that.

So, has this employer done anything illegal? Or, is it ok in today's business environment to behave like asses?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">