• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help asap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sawmstock

What is the name of your state? MO

My husband I divorced 2 years ago. In our settlement agreement he agreed to pay 1 credit card off and kept the truck that we had purchased together. I kept the house. It is stated in the agreement that I made no claims to the truck and he made no claims to the house. I want to refinance the house to remove his name from the mortgage. He refuses to sign anything unless I pay him for the house. If in the settlement agreement he made no claim to the house can he come back later and want money?

tigger22472

sawmstock said:
What is the name of your state? MO

My husband I divorced 2 years ago. In our settlement agreement he agreed to pay 1 credit card off and kept the truck that we had purchased together. I kept the house. It is stated in the agreement that I made no claims to the truck and he made no claims to the house. I want to refinance the house to remove his name from the mortgage. He refuses to sign anything unless I pay him for the house. If in the settlement agreement he made no claim to the house can he come back later and want money?
It sounds to me that you are going to have to contact an attorney to take this to court and force him to sign off on the house. I would look for a free consult in your area to see if that's the proper way to handle this.

garrula lingua

It depends on how well worded your Marital Settlement Agreement is, and whether he had legal advice (an atty reviewed) before he signed the MSA.

sawmstock

The settlement agreement was done with a lawyer that he chose. The divorce and lawyer was all his doing. We were trying to keep it all friendly and use the same lawyer, he paid for all of it.
I should also mention that I signed off on the truck with no problem.

Last edited:

LdiJ

sawmstock said:
The settlement agreement was done with a lawyer that he chose. The divorce and lawyer was all his doing. We were trying to keep it all friendly and use the same lawyer, he paid for all of it.
I should also mention that I signed off on the truck with no problem.
Again, you are going to have to get an attorney and take it back to court to force him to sign off. Have the attorney ask the judge to order him to pay your legal fees as well. He might just back down and sign off without it having to go before the judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">