• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

common law marriage then divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeancathrinemar

tennessee
My husband and i have a common law marriage, then we had a church blessing in scotland in the uk,
now he is divorcing me because a previous marriage he had thirty years ago was never dissolved, i live in the uk he lives in america, he has gone back to the states to live with her, he says he has filed a divoirce already from me but i have seen no papers at all to sign and he wont tell me where they have been filed in america. i wish to object to this most strongly but dont know where to start,

JETX

jeancathrinemar said:
tennessee
My husband and i have a common law marriage, then we had a church blessing in scotland in the uk,
now he is divorcing me because a previous marriage he had thirty years ago was never dissolved, i live in the uk he lives in america, he has gone back to the states to live with her, he says he has filed a divoirce already from me but i have seen no papers at all to sign and he wont tell me where they have been filed in america. i wish to object to this most strongly but dont know where to start,
Hmmm... how can you claim 'Tennessee', yet you live in the UK??
Simple answer... you aren't married and no divorce is needed.
Reasons:
1) You don't say where this 'common law' marriage came from... but you do imply Tennessee. Sorry, but TN doesn NOT have common law marriages.
2) You then say something about being in the UK. And guess what... the UK doesn't allow common law marriages either. And a church blessing is just that... a blessing, not a marriage.

From a UK site:
A wedding blessing differs from a marriage ceremony in that it is not required or governed by law, and is therefore not legally binding. A wedding blessing is a religious ceremony and usually held after a civil ceremony. In a civil ceremony, no religious music or words may be used. A couple who desire an element of religion in their union could elect for a wedding blessing after the civil ceremony. In this way, the couple can dedicate or ‘formalise’ their marriage in their chosen style and religion.

A wedding blessing normally takes place in a church, although it can also be held at an outside venue. A couple may choose a wedding blessing because either one or both of the parties is divorced. Couples from different religious backgrounds could also choose a wedding blessing, with elements taken from both religions. This would, however, be dependent on the official leading the blessing.

And finally... since he was already married to someone else at the time, any claims of marriage to you are null and void.

jeancathrinemar said:
tennessee
You can't object. And there is "nowhere" to start....It never began. You will never see any "papers". You were never married (as JETX's post states).

I am sorry...you were duped.

I guess he didn't like the UK much.

Move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">