• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discovery - Civil Moving Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aardvark72

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

Plan on fighting a ticket I got for "right of way rotary". It is a civil violation.

What can I ask for in terms of discovery? The cop was a state trooper on a motorcycle so I assume there is no video. What about notes the trooper took? Is there anything else I should ask for?

How do I ask for the information and when should I send the request? The ticket is from last Thursday and I haven't sent it back yet. Do I need to send it back and get a hearing date before I can submit a request for discovery?

Thanks.

efflandt

What is to discover? Did you pull in front of a vehicle already in the rotary, or did you change lanes and cut someone off coming out of it? Or do you still not know what vehicle the officer thought you pulled in front of?

aardvark72

efflandt said:
What is to discover? Did you pull in front of a vehicle already in the rotary, or did you change lanes and cut someone off coming out of it? Or do you still not know what vehicle the officer thought you pulled in front of?
I'm missing something. If you don't have an answer, why reply? Are you that in need of a life that all you have to do all day is post nonsense on these forums?

You have no idea what happened. The fact of the matter is that I did none of the things you suggested and if I am going to fight the ticket it makes sense to me to have as much information as possible, hence my orginal questions.

Now if anyone has an answer to my questions, I would appreciate it.

The Occultist

WRONG! You do not talk like that when asking for help. He didn't know whether or not you did those things, hence those magical punctuation marks known as question mark at the end of those sentences!

Ask for whatever is relevant to your case. Notes? The only notes the officer likely took will be on the ticket you were issued. Odds are, you're screwed. Good night.

Last edited:

cepe10

try a freedom of information act request to the law enforcement department involved... not sure what you can get though.. study the law carefully.

IMO, I wouldn't supoena or do anything else to let them no you plan on being there for the trial. if the witness (LEO) doesn't show then you should get dismissal

racer72

Another moron is going to show up in court without a clue. Either get the worlds fastest law degree or hire an attorney, you are obviously over your head with this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">