• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be held responsible if my child is in a car accident.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LSchreuer

What is the name of your state? MA

I am the non custodial parent of my teenage daughter who is about to get her driver's liscence and her first car. This thought is scary enough - but to add to it, I will have no say in how much car insurance is purchased for her (she lives with her mother and step father). I only pay substantial child support, but can not choose how the money is spent!! My question is: Can I be held responsible if she is in an accident but does not have enough insurance to cover damamages? Can they come after me? Thanks very much for any advise- this is causing me to loose sleep!!

Last edited:

runway123

With all due respect to your post; if you do not have custodial rights for the child, then how could you possibly be held responsible for her actions?

LSchreuer

Perhaps I mistated myself. Her mother is the custodial parent (non- working and receives child support). My daughter stays with me often. Since child support will be paying for her insurance (and I provide the child support) is it so far fetched to worry that I may be held liable. Her mother has very few assets - spends everything that she can get her hands on, I on the other hand save everything. If money could not be collected from her mother, COULD someone come after me for i? I know that this may seem far fetched, but could I find myself spending money on lawyers some day? I have suffered through a nasty divorce and have learned that I need to think outside of the box! Thanks so much

weenor

LSchreuer said:
Perhaps I mistated myself. Her mother is the custodial parent (non- working and receives child support). My daughter stays with me often. Since child support will be paying for her insurance (and I provide the child support) is it so far fetched to worry that I may be held liable. Her mother has very few assets - spends everything that she can get her hands on, I on the other hand save everything. If money could not be collected from her mother, COULD someone come after me for i? I know that this may seem far fetched, but could I find myself spending money on lawyers some day? I have suffered through a nasty divorce and have learned that I need to think outside of the box! Thanks so much
Of course anyone could come after you, the question is whether they would win...Because you are the noncustodial parent and do not control her actions when she is with her mother, you stand a better chance of prevailing.

LSchreuer

Thanks for the advice. I guess if I want piece of mind (and not the risk of legal bills) I should buy her insurance myself and make sure that she is adequately covered. So much for child support taking care of her needs!

ecmst12

If the car she is driving is not registered in your name, there is less of a chance of someone collecting from you in case of an accident.

If she is going to be driving your car ever, make sure she's added to your policy though!

I don't think you can buy insurance for her on a car that's NOT in your name....when she's driving her mom's car then her mom will be responsible for making sure she's covered and will most likely be the party responsible if a lawsuit results.

Last edited:

moburkes

ecmst12 said:
If the car she is driving is not registered in your name, there is less of a chance of someone collecting from you in case of an accident.

If she is going to be driving your car ever, make sure she's added to your policy though!

I don't think you can buy insurance for her on a car that's NOT in your name....when she's driving her mom's car then her mom will be responsible for making sure she's covered and will most likely be the party responsible if a lawsuit results.
You can buy insurance all day long on vehicles that are not in your name. (THINK: My credit is bad, so my mom put the car in her name. I want to get insurance so that when I drive the vehicle, I am covered.) However, there are other criteria that must be met, which OP doesn't seem to qualify for. However, there is no problem with him adding his daughter to HIS policy, except that most insurance companies will ask if she is a household member OR if she regularly drives the vehicle in question. Again, he may not qualify for the policy, but they are sold all day long.

seagoing

Another point to consider. Do not co-sign any car loans or the like.By doing so you are attaching yourself to possible lawsuits. I have a friend in Fl. co-signed for his son who just got out of the Navy.he was in a rear end accident and they were going after my buddies assets because he co-signed.you don't seem to ave any obligation since your not custodial parent. Keep it that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">