• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rental car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rental_accident

What is the name of your state? MO

I met with an accident while driving a Hertz rental car. The rental car was pretty much damaged on the passenger's side. There was fluid leakage and the windshield cracked. Both air bags deployed.The car that collided with mine was damaged too from the front but mine suffered more damages than the other party's. The fault was mine and the cop gave me a citation for "Failure to yield". The good part was that i had purchased insurance from Hertz. (Loss Damage Waiver and Liabiltiy insurance Supplement). Since i was in a state of shock and since this was my first accident ever the cop was kind/polite enough to explain to me what was i supposed to do next. I was given a citation for traffic violation was fined $50 for 'Failure to yield'. The cop told me that i was not requried to appear in the court and that i could mail in the fine. The next day i called the court and i was told that i HAVE to appear in the court if an accident was involved.

My question is , will i be fined more (other than the $50 + $24.50 for court costs) for the damages to the rental car and the other party's car. The driver of the other car had hot coffee spilled over his foot, and i fear he may sue me for that. Since i had both insurances purchased from Hertz, will Hertz cover up for all the damages and any third part claims.?

More importantly why does the court requrie me to appear in person when i am willing to plead guilty, pay the $74.50 fine and settle this thing for good? What does the judge expect to hear and will i have to pay for anything... esp because i had purchased both "Loss Damage Waiver" and "Liability Insurance Supplement" from Hertz. :confused:

Please advise.

Thanks..

rental_accident

The 2 coverages that I purchased werer "
1) Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) and
2) Liability Insurance Supplement (LIS)

LDW promises to cover for damages to the Hertz car and LIS promises to cover third-party damges plus bodily injuries.

So i am covered right? I dont have to worry about anything..right? I hope i just have to pay the court fines and that should be it.. Or should i have to worry about the guy suing me for medical expenses?

moburkes

If there is not enough coverage under the insurance policy, then he WILL sue you for the rest of the medical bills, unless he accepts a settlement offer.

rental_accident

Guilty or Not Guilty

First. Thank you moburkes for your replies.

Second, i just received a call from Hertz and they wanted a recorded statement from me about the accident. I gave them the facts and i believe everything's on tape now.

I ensured that i made the Hertz lady to agree on tape ,that Hertz would cover for the damages/injuries since i had purchased full insurance.

But once off the tape the lady advised me to plead "Not Guilty" in the court but also said that, it was completely upto me what i said in the court. Now i can understand why Hertz would want me to plead 'Not Guilty' but i intend to plead "Guilty" and settle the court fines/fees and put an end to this. But would pleading "Guilty" cause any problems in the future? Can Hertz refuse to pay if i plead 'Guilty' ?

Please advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">