• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worth Pursuing Legal Fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jakeweil1

What is the name of your state? Texas
I recently purchased a business and right at the time of my takeover a new landlord purchased the shopping center and tried to get out of honoring my lease. The bottom line is that the leasing agency representing the old landlord of the shopping center acted fraudulently. They never disclosed the sale of the shopping center and the fact that the old landlord could no longer sign the lease. The case was pretty open and shut. I hired an attorney and had them file an affidavit with the court and draft a demand letter. Immediately after reciept of the demand letter the new landlord agreed to honor the lease. The new landlord does not want to reimburse me for my attorney fees. I don't have an issue with him but with the leasing agency. Since they wre the ones that acted fraudulently. Right now I have $2,500 in legal fees. Is it worth racking up more legal fees going after the leasing agency? I am confident that I will win if the matter goes to court, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. As a matter of principal I would like to pursue the issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jake

stephenk

No one here can tell you if it's worth it to you to collect $2500. You can sue in small claims court and give it a shot. If your time is worth more than $2500, forget about it and declare the legal fees as a business expense for tax purposes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">