• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I can't appear in court at this date.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zorgy69

What is the name of your state? CA

Well on June 29, I received a traffic ticket for "crossing the double yellow lines."

I don't believe I did, but the officer saw otherwise. Whatever, that's beside the point of this post.

On the ticket it says to appeart on August 30, 2006. Problem-- I have to leave for college on August 21st. I fly out to North Carolina that morning. It is IMPOSSIBLE to make that court appearance. So it's been a while and I'm still waiting for my courtesy notice. I was doing some research online and I heard it's best to do "Trial by Declaration" which is you essentially paying the fine, writing a letter telling why you're not guilty, and then receiving a decision from the judge.

Sounds good right? Well I've contacted the courts (North County of San Diego) many times, and all I get are automated messages that are no help. Should I wait for my courtesy notice? I have no idea how much to pay! I've done research and no website can provide me with the exact amount that is due--- I've only found a rough estimate which isn't good enough. I don't even know when I should send in my letter.

Also, the court is 90 miles away from my house. A closer court house in Santa Ana is around 15 miles away. I want to appear there instead... is that possible? I've contacted the San Diego court but I've had no luck.

If anyone knows how I should deal with my situation, then please reply. Thank you.

The Occultist

You need to find a way to get to your trial, or you need to find a way to get ahold of a clerk. Failing to do both of those will not make your life easy.

The court your case is assigned to is dependant on where you were pulled over. Any attempt for a change of venue would have to have been done while your ticket was being issued. It is too late now.

lwpat

Any attempt for a change of venue would have to have been done while your ticket was being issued. It is too late now.
You can make a motion for a change of venue to the county seat if it is closer. It is up to the judge who may or may not grant the motion. Normally you have to request it at the time of the stop.

Taking online traffic school may be your best option. You should have received the courtesy notice by now so you may need to just drive the 90 miles and get this taken care of before you leave. Since you are going to be out of state, forget the TBD route.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">