• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am i really in the wrong?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevetweis

What is the name of your state? NEW JERSEY
okay the other day iwas driving down broad street in philadelphia. Broad street is one of the main roads in Philly, there are 2-3 lanes on each side with a median in the middle which is about 12 feet wide, sometiems it's a small island i nthe middle and sometimes it's like choppy bricks laid into the road.

anyway, iwas driving down the street minding my own business, iwas in the inside lane and an ambulance with its lights comes out of nowhere from opposing traffic and cuts me off he then truns sharply so now he is blocking both lanes of traffic and his rear is facing the sidewalk., he did have his lights on but i would never think an ambulance would go over the median like this. i slam on my brakes and honk as a natural reaction, after i calmed down for a few seconds i realized he was backing into the station, there were tons of cars behind me and i didnt want to hold up traffic so i just went around him. i immediately got pulled over.
The cop asked me "what kind of ******* move" that was and cussed me out. I told him that i knew the guy was backing in and ididnt mean to cause any harm. the cop told me i'd be getting a ticket in the mail.

heres my argument

1. why would the ambulance have its lights on to go to the station?
2. why is there a need to cut off traffic and almost cause an accident?
3. the ambulance was stopped, i didnt know you were supposed to come to a complete hault when u see an ambulance with its lights on on the side of the road.. i yeilded to him for sure, if i didn't, i would've run right into him.

if i get this ticket in them mail do you think it's even worth fighting?

The Occultist

stevetweis said:
1. why would the ambulance have its lights on to go to the station?
Irrelevant.

2. why is there a need to cut off traffic and almost cause an accident?
Irrelevant.

3. the ambulance was stopped, i didnt know you were supposed to come to a complete hault when u see an ambulance with its lights on on the side of the road.. i yeilded to him for sure, if i didn't, i would've run right into him.
Ignorance is no excuse.

if i get this ticket in them mail do you think it's even worth fighting?
No.

An emergency vehicle driving around with lights on means pull over as far to the right as possible and come to a complete stop and stay that way until the vehicle is gone. Emergency vehicles may drive on whichever side of the road they need to to accomplish whatever their goal is. I've seen ambulances driving with one side on the street and the other side physically on the median. Whether or not you thought the ambulance would be driving around there does not matter as you should have already come to a complete stop and remained that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">