• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I Sign This???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amyray50

What is the name of your state? KENTUCKY

Hello i have a question? My husband has obtained a lawyer and i do not have a lawyer. We were going to joint file, with just him represented by the lawyer. I submitted to his lawyer a proposed settlement agreement from me, and i thought they should send the same to me. However now they are telling me that they want me to sign the petition first and then they will send me the proposed agreement. I don't know if this is what i should do? Why would they want me to sign first before sending it to me? What should i do? Thanks in advance for any help...:eek:

freelady1

Don't sign anything

You should never sign anything without first consulting your own lawyer. It could come back to bite you.

amyray50

ok

well i guess i will consult a lawyer, i really did not want to have to as of the expense. does anyone know how i can find a low cost lawyer in kentucky? thanks for your time..:confused:

Bali Hai

amyray50 said:
well i guess i will consult a lawyer, i really did not want to have to as of the expense. does anyone know how i can find a low cost lawyer in kentucky? thanks for your time..:confused:
Ask for their fee structure when you interview them.

Compare that to what you consider to be low cost.

Then contact a couple of divorce attorneys in NYC or Philly and ask for their fee structure.

seniorjudge

Bali Hai said:
Ask for their fee structure when you interview them.

Compare that to what you consider to be low cost.

Then contact a couple of divorce attorneys in NYC or Philly and ask for their fee structure.
I would add: Find a young, hungry lawyer.

nmib

I wouldn't sign anything without seeing everything up front first. I didn't get a lawyer and my ex did. (his family paid for it). He got off with $100 a month child support payments (3 small children) he got the claim the kids on his taxes from then on. Needless to say I got screwed. :eek: He has yet to pay a dime in child support (kids are all grown now). Protect yourself and your children.

amyray50

thank you

my state is kentucky

thanks to all of you who have answered.. i appreciate it and i will be contacting a lawyer

amy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">