• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

military divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

readytogetitove

What is the name of your state? California
I am in the Airforce and have been stationed in Charleston South Carolina. I am still a legal resident of California. In the state of South Carolina you have to wait 1 year before the divorce is final. I was wondering if I could file for divorce in California and use the 6 month period California requires. I know that you must be a resident of California for 6 months prior to the divorce, but because I am active military and still considered a legal resident of California can I still file in California. I am ready to get this all over with.

LdiJ

readytogetitove said:
What is the name of your state? California
I am in the Airforce and have been stationed in Charleston South Carolina. I am still a legal resident of California. In the state of South Carolina you have to wait 1 year before the divorce is final. I was wondering if I could file for divorce in California and use the 6 month period California requires. I know that you must be a resident of California for 6 months prior to the divorce, but because I am active military and still considered a legal resident of California can I still file in California. I am ready to get this all over with.
If you have officially maintained CA as your state of legal residence, you can file there. However, it would be pretty darned complicated to manage a CA divorce from SC.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">