• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking dings...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JDon

California,

Hello everyone,

As most people that post to this site I have an issue that i need help resolving. I live in a complex where I park my vehicle in a large garage shared by other tenants. Before moving here my car was immaculate, no scratches, dings, or dents. After a few months I began noticing small marks and dings developing on my passenger door. I soon began to suspect my neighbor who parks adjacent to me. The dings and dents have been steadily increasing and I have confronted my neighbor about it (which she denies) and I have spoken with the management about the situation. The problem is I have no actual proof my neighbor is responsible. However, when I go to a store or am forced to park in a large public parking lot I always park away from other vehicles regardless of how far my walk will be. There is no other place these dings could have come from. Short of going C.S.I on my neighbor, conducting surveillance and collecting paint samples is there anything else or more specifically any legal course of action I can take against my neighbor?

Last edited:

ecmst12

Can you park in another spot or do you have an assigned slot?

You can always get those inflatable door thingies.

moburkes

JDon said:
California,

Hello everyone,

As most people that post to this site I have an issue that i need help resolving. I live in a complex where I park my vehicle in a large garage shared by other tenants. Before moving here my car was immaculate, no scratches, dings, or dents. After a few months I began noticing small marks and dings developing on my passenger door. I soon began to suspect my neighbor who parks adjacent to me. The dings and dents have been steadily increasing and I have confronted my neighbor about it (which she denies) and I have spoken with the management about the situation. The problem is I have no actual proof my neighbor is responsible. However, when I go to a store or am forced to park in a large public parking lot I always park away from other vehicles regardless of how far my walk will be. There is no other place these dings could have come from. Short of going C.S.I on my neighbor, conducting surveillance and collecting paint samples is there anything else or more specifically any legal course of action I can take against my neighbor?
Sure, don't park in the garage, and park as far as possible away from other vehicles.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You need to find out exactly what times of day your neighbor comes and goes. Then, on a grassy knoll somewhere nearby, set up a camcorder at maximum zoom so you can get ongoing evidence of the neighbor causing said damage.
Without PROOF, then you have no case.

justalayman

JDon said:
WOW! Thanks for that bit of sagacious advice...I feel truly enlightened.
What can I say jdon? I'm just that kind of guy.

Really though, what did you expect? You admit you have no evidence to prove who is denting your car and you want to know what you can do about the denting.

Ok. Since you require an answer to a question that did not really require an answer, here it is.

You can stand in front of your car and wait for the neighbor. Yell and scream and intimidate them into admitting they dinged your car. The when you get out of jail for harrassing them and disorderly conduct, sue the neighbor. Show the judge your evidence. Since you have none, you will lose.

Now wasn't my first response all that was really needed?

If you expect to prevail in a suit or in any claim at all, you have to be able to prove where the damage is coming from. By your own admission, you cannot do that. Videotape, secrectly serveil the car or whatever you want to do to collect evidence, but until you do, you have no action available.

JDon

ecmst12 said:
Can you park in another spot or do you have an assigned slot?

You can always get those inflatable door thingies.

ecmst12,

I've never seen the inflatable door thingies are they something you actually attach to your door to prevent people from dinging your car? I will do a search for them and see what I can find. Thanks for the advice.

JDon

justalayman said:
What can I say jdon? I'm just that kind of guy.

Really though, what did you expect? You admit you have no evidence to prove who is denting your car and you want to know what you can do about the denting.

Ok. Since you require an answer to a question that did not really require an answer, here it is.

You can stand in front of your car and wait for the neighbor. Yell and scream and intimidate them into admitting they dinged your car. The when you get out of jail for harrassing them and disorderly conduct, sue the neighbor. Show the judge your evidence. Since you have none, you will lose.

Now wasn't my first response all that was really needed?

If you expect to prevail in a suit or in any claim at all, you have to be able to prove where the damage is coming from. By your own admission, you cannot do that. Videotape, secrectly serveil the car or whatever you want to do to collect evidence, but until you do, you have no action available.
[/B

justalayman,

The very last two sentences of your post would have been perfect advice. If that was the advice you provided in your first response I would have been thoroughly grateful and would not have responded with such sarcasm. I knew what the obvious answer to my question was but I was looking for maybe something that wasn't so obvious. I was hoping to get "advice" and "What do you think?" hardly qualifies as advice. But I do appreciate you taking the time to send back an appropriate response with some thought behind it (your second). It's just unfortunate I had to resort to sarcasm to get it. But no worries Bro ;) the posts I received confirmed my original suspicions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">