• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be sued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shaneyb72

What is the name of your state? New York

My ex-wife has a minivan that is titled in my name first and her name second. The loan is also in both names but she is supposed to be paying it off this week to FINALLY get the loan out of my name. But the title will still be in both names. If she was involved in an accident could I be sued because my name is on the title? How do I get my name off the title as well? Is it as simple as signing off on the back of the title as a seller and having her sign it as the new owner?

Thanks!

ecmst12

Yes, if you are a registered owner of the vehicle you could be sued if there was an accident. Try Googling "car title transfer new york" or something like that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">