• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer and guardian say different things

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lbb87

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I'm posting this for someone who has a mental illness.

Long story short: The person was supposed to go to court two weeks ago. The date was setup over two months ago. About two to four days before the court date, their court appointed guardian calls and says it's been changed to late September but didn't say why. So I call the person's court appointed lawyer and ask why the date change. The lawyer says that the prosecutor had a scheduling conflict. A few days later, the guardian sends a letter about the date change. The letter said that the reason for the change was that the prosecutor was allowing the person more time to prepare for the court date and to give them a chance to rectify this situation (the reason for the criminal charges).

So basically, the lawyer says the court date change was due to the prosecutor's schedule. The guardian says it's because the prosecutor is allowing the person more time to rectify the situation. I find this odd and rather disturbing. The person and I feel that the prosecutor, the police, and the guardian have in the past tried to cause nothing but problems for this person. They have harassed him, lied to him in court, and jerked him around. Now all of a sudden they're being nice to him?

Should I be concerned that the lawyer and the guardian are saying different things in regards to the date change? It smells awfully fishy to me. And to be honest, we kind of thought that they had lied about the date change. The person said that in the past, the guardian said that they didn't have to be in court one day so the person didn't go. Next thing he knows, he gets arrested for missing court.What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">